Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 400 engine issues

Hello all.

I recently bought 1978 gs 400 for cheap. It runs and starts up great exept for one "small" problem. When servicing the engine to find the source for a clunk i heard it turns out someone has almost entirely destroyed the cilinder head.

The story goes like this. Exhaust camshaft has shatterd sometime ago. The owner did not replace it for unknown reasons and had it welded together. But it is almost impossible to weld it as precisely as needed so now after years of use the cilinder head is worn out and several other components are gone also.

I have been looking for a donor engine but its very hard to find in my area. So are there any other options. As far as i understand gs400 and gs450 are largely the same motorcycles.
    How hard would it be to bolt 450 engine to the frame of a gs 400?
    Are the gearboxes different? Problems with bolting gs450 engine/gearbox to the frame? Electrics?

All expertise is appreciated.

Firstly, welcome to the forums, sounds like the PO sure did a job on that head!

As far as I'm aware, it should be a relatively straight forward swap, but I'm guessing electrics could get a little awkward unless you go for a similar age that has points as well. If you get one with electronic ignition but can't get a complete motor with a working ignitor it could be difficult to find another good ignitor.

To check, I'd do things like look up part numbers of the engine mounts and mounting bolts etc. and see if they use the same ones on later model 450's.

The frame part numbers likely won't match up, but if the mounting hardware matches then it's a good chance it'll be a bolt in, but there hopefully will be others here who can get a better idea for you.

If you need any measurements of a 450 to help you work it out, let me know and I'll see what I can do as I have an '82 450E.

The other alternative if you're prepared to get some different pipes made up (or if you can make them yourself) is to bolt in a later GS500 motor.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Gs400

Antin, where are you located? If you are in the USA, and close to Louisiana, I have just the thing for you. I have a 95% complete '78 GS400. You can have it for free!! Just come and get it. If interested, e-mail me at 'robert.bond@cityofalex.com'.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. AntiN,

Wow! You can't beat that! A donor bike for free! This is quite a community.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the replys and thanks for the offer rbond but i live in Europe so unfortunatly can´t pick that bike up. But I am going to drive to Italy soon to buy a Ducati so I´m hopeful I can find something on the way.

Comment

Working...
          X