help!!! 1981 gs 550 t carb adjust problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help!!! 1981 gs 550 t carb adjust problems

worked so hard on this bike. screwed over twice by guys that do not know. so close to riding this beauty. has fire. carbs are clean. when i can get it to run it runs sweet. little high idle. just need a trusty but cheap mechanic to work my bugs out. appreciate anything, thanks

Where are you located?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

1981 gs550t

free from a snowbank. painted by my son and homemade side covers. needs loving to run right

Comment

located in topsham maine

Comment

Well since I can't get to you what kind of bugs? Maybe we can help you sort it out and get you riding.

Too nice a little ride to be sitting around.

cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

have no idea how to tune the carbs and start from scratch. idles a little high when it starts. smokes a little white smoke when it runs but runs smooth

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. strangelinc,

Your bike looks nice. Good work on the custom body parts.

There is a lot of work ahead for you, cleaning carbs, adjusting valves, fixing the charging system, etc. You must avoid these: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. You'll find "how to" guides for most of the general maintenance tasks on my little website. Here is what you need to get started:

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. In case you haven't noticed, this is the 2 cylinder section. You have a four cylinder engine.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

If the choke is ON then it's normal for the RPM's to rise, this is how the bike warms up, especially in Cold conditions.

If the bike is Warmed up and choke OFF, and the RPM's still rise.....this means you need to adjust your Idle, or you have an Air leak....usually in the carb boots or airbox.

Air leaks are more common though, make sure all boots are soft-ish and plyable.
                If they seem okay, then proceed to attempt to tighten all 8 boots down a little more.
                And check your airbox cover, make sure it's sealing tight.

Even the slightly air leak can cause the RPM's to "hang" or the idle to increase.

---------

And the reason you're getting screwed over, is simply because most people DON'T KNOW how to work on these classic Jap bikes.
                It's really not that hard, you just need to read BassCliffs Tutorials, and get In and play around a little bit with the bike.

Yes, it takes some reading and trial and error....but it's worth it!
                Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2011, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                  If the choke is ON then it's normal for the RPM's to rise, this is how the bike warms up, especially in Cold conditions.

If the bike is Warmed up and choke OFF, and the RPM's still rise.....this means you need to adjust your Idle, or you have an Air leak....usually in the carb boots or airbox.

Air leaks are more common though, make sure all boots are soft-ish and plyable.
                  If they seem okay, then proceed to attempt to tighten all 8 boots down a little more.
                  And check your airbox cover, make sure it's sealing tight.

Even the slightly air leak can cause the RPM's to "hang" or the idle to increase.

---------

And the reason you're getting screwed over, is simply because most people DON'T KNOW how to work on these classic Jap bikes.
                  It's really not that hard, you just need to read BassCliffs Tutorials, and get In and play around a little bit with the bike.

Yes, it takes some reading and trial and error....but it's worth it!
                  Number one source of air leaks is from the intake boot O-rings. I always replace these on each new/old GS bike I get.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X