Long Rides and Highway Cruising!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Rides and Highway Cruising!

Has anyone used their twin for long distance rides (more than a hundred miles each way?

How about highway cruising at sustained speeds?

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to take my bike on a ~400 mile trip this summer that would be about 200 miles interstate and 200 miles highway each direction. My bike has about 13k miles, and I've done all the stuff on Bikecliff's tune-up guide plus replaced tires, chain, sprockets, brakes, wheel bearings, and electrical (headlight, stator, reg/rect, battery).

Is it ok on these old twins to take such long rides at a constant ~7000 rpm?

Hi,

There's no guarantee, but a well-maintained bike shouldn't give you anything to worry about. My buddy's '80 GS450S has gone on more than a few all day rides, combination freeway and twisties, with no issues. You might want to go 65 mph in the right lane instead of trying to keep up with traffic all the time. Have fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I usually take mine out for a tank and a half per trip at around 6000rpm highway 100-110kmh

That would be close to 350 km per trip.

Only issue is that it feels like its revving too much and vibrates allot at those higher speeds but just keep behind the traffic and its comfortable.

There's the weight. Its a light bike and the wind takes its toll on you after a while.

You could do it I think and be confident, Just keep in mind the stator and reg issues.

Tighten and locktite all bolts and nuts!!

If you drive an L model, use a bunge cord to attach your side covers to the bike, especially the right one!

Change your tire pressure for the higher sustained riding speeds.

Have all the tools you need to dissemble the bikes more common parts with you just in case.

I don't hesitate to take mine out anymore. its been rebuilt and shaken up for a good 5k now.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

I did a 650 mile trip, 32 years ago one my GS400, when I was in my twenty's. The bike and I both did fine. I would'nt do it now, as I have more comfortable machines now. Aside from comfort, a heavier bike is less prone to being blown around by the wind and traffic, The machine will handle it.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

long rides and highway cruising

My gs450l goes on the highway just fine although the windy days are a challenge. I usually keep it at 60 mph and at this speed the vibration is barely noticable. Throw some bags on the back and have fun !!

bob

Comment

Go for it! I've done several hundred k's in a day on mine quite a lot years ago and it never had any issues.

I rode it for work for about 6 months before I got another car and used to ride to sticksville and back many times with no dramas.

As the other guys have said, the only real uncomfortable bit can be the light weight when being passed by trucks or riding in heavy wind.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a long trip on mine once it's back up and running.

Actually I did have one extra discomfort... my seat padding was worn out, so after about half to three quarters of an hour I felt like I was sitting on the seat pan, so sometimes I'd have to get off and walk around for 5 minutes before continuing...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Bike should handle it fine.

For sustained highway riding changing out the front countershaft sprocket for another with one extra tooth makes a noticeable reduction in freeway rpm. I did this mod on my old 400 during my commuting days and liked the results. The sprockets are cheap and you can switch back and forth with the original in only a few min.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Bike should handle it fine.

For sustained highway riding changing out the front countershaft sprocket for another with one extra tooth makes a noticeable reduction in freeway rpm. I did this mod on my old 400 during my commuting days and liked the results. The sprockets are cheap and you can switch back and forth with the original in only a few min.
                I did this yesterday and the results are great. No big deal switching them out either. A must do for twins if you're doing much highway riding.

Comment

What sprockets did you use?

I believe my stock are 16/45. Is it better to go one up in the front or three down in back?

Comment

Mine is the T model so it's 16/42 and I went up one in the front. It's a JT Sprockets 17T JTF513.17
                    Only cost me 12 bucks on Ebay and 20 minutes of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by rlong74 View Post
                      Mine is the T model so it's 16/42 and I went up one in the front. It's a JT Sprockets 17T JTF513.17
                      Only cost me 12 bucks on Ebay and 20 minutes of my time.
                      What RPM is the engine running in 6th gear at 60 mph?

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                        What RPM is the engine running in 6th gear at 60 mph?
                        It's turning at 5k.

Comment

It is usually better to go one up on the front sprocket, for a couple of reasons:
                          It is cheaper
                          You do not have to mod the chain to do it, just move the back axle forward a bit.

Comment

I will testing this mod out next week on a trip down to Mt St. Helens. need to get some wind protection between now and then but I think it should do ok overall.

Comment

I have done a few runs on the freeway so far but anything over 60 and the buffeting gets to be pretty uncomfortable. I was looking at this JC Whitney cafe fairing to work around that:
                              http://www.jcwhitney.com/sport-style...40d2010y1986j3

Would look awkward on my 450L but what the hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X