timing is everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing is everything

Well, I finished the Yosh tribute build last month. We were rushed at the end and when we arrived at Barber everything that could go wrong did. Everything is peachy now, but it probably won't see the track until September.

The timing is a bit of an enigma. I have the Dyna electronic ignition turned all the way clockwise and the "T" timing mark (idle) is still a tad advanced. I don't get that. How could it be maxed right and still not quite on?

The bike runs and sounds awesome. Bored to 1025, 10.5:1 pistons, stage three carbs, racing baffle, ported, V-stacks, total loss ignition, Racetech front end, Ikon shocks, aluminum swing, Salty Monk upgraded brakes (probably not legal and look too modern, so I'm looking for an alternative), scalloped left cover and Yoshimura frame bracing. Airtech seat/tail and belly pan arrive Tuesday. The sound of this thing is something else.

Many thanks, guys!
    Rick

Sorry, I meant to post a pic, too...

Comment

Very nice.
      The Dyna on our racebike had to have the backplate fully advanced on the slots to achieve standard timing.....production tolerances ?

Comment

Oh those little gremlins…

It's always the last 1% that seems impossible.
        Nice!
        But I would put some kind of disc on those cam shaft ends, they just look unfinished like that.
        Bill
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Nice, but it looks like it's running really lean
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X