Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith Code's Superbike School

Hey Everyone,

So I'm playing with the idea of taking Keith Code's Superbike School at some point in the future. From everything I've read about it's some serious training and it looks like a whole lot of fun.

I've never done any time on a track, and never ridden any type of 'sports' bike (don't tell that to my 850G though, he thinks he is )

Anyone here ever do it? Does the course cater to people with track experience to the point that a street only rider would feel left behind?

For those seeking more information here is the website.

Your assigned on-track coach for the day is a professional. Coaches are trained observers and correction artists. Their job is to offer plenty of assistance by giving you immediate feedback on errors as well as validation for good application of the drills and technical skills.

I did a weekend "Superbike School" at Road America in 1981 or 1982, with KZ550s. Was that Keith Code's? If so, it was good, if a little short on track time. They provided leathers and useful instruction, and turned us loose on about half the track, running the circuit in reverse (so we could shoot out of the Carousel at insane lean angles). It's worthwhile to be able to push a bike to its limit without worrying about killing yourself, and they take cool photos of you on the track.

Comment

I dinna know but I love reading Keith Code's column in Motorcyclist, every month he presents some aspect of racing that applies to street riding.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

You too?

Everybody's “playing with the idea of taking Keith Code's Superbike School at some point in the future”.
        I decided that I could get more track time for my investment by joining a track time outfit with their own coaches.
        Close to you: http://www.absolutecycle.com/racesho...ategory_id=146
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks for the link Bill. I think the reason people think of Keith Code's school first is that it is one of the bigger names in this sort of training. I had no idea that you could do track days so reasonably. I'm gonna have to look into this further.

Now I just need to find a track bike. Not so sure my 850G is the best track weapon

Comment

DO IT!

I took level 1 back in 2008 at VIR and LOVED IT! I plan to eventually take all 4 levels as money and time permits.

At the time I had never ridden a modern sport bike and I had never ridden on a track. The course was, IMHO, a FANTASTIC start to my sport bike world and a great addidtion to my riding knowledge and skills. They provide top flight instruction and bikes (or you can provide your own track ready bike). The one day level one course provides you with GOOD and NUTRITIOUS food (body fuel, they take this seriously, also providing potassium and salt pills to ensure proper electrolyte throughout the day), bike, instruction. After check-in and a quick classroom orientation/Q&A, class begins and goes somethin' like this:

1) Classroom: Instruction on the isolated technique to be learned. This is taught by an experienced instructor and any and all questions are encouraged and answered.
            2) Brief/Group: Group up with your on track riding coach and group. In my group, it was one instructor to three riders. The riding coach answers any questions you might have, then you suit up and mount up on cue. While on track, you work on the technique and the riding coach will shadow you to check your progress/look for issues and will lead you as needed, using pre-set signals to instruct/assist on track.
            3) Debriefing: Group up with riding coach and group. You talk with the riding and your group about the session: What felt good or bad, questions, etc. Riding coach discusses each riders strengths and any trouble spots with the specific technique and general riding and makes suggestions for improvments.
            4) Break
            5) Back to step 1 for the next technique.

5 or 6 cycles/sessions total and it's a FULL DAY. I was well ready to end the day when it was time even though I loved every minute of it.

As a brand new sport bike rider and track guy, I held my own...wasn't the slowest by any means but I was only middle of the pack speed-wise, which was fine by me. I was AMAZED at the ability of some of the level 4/advanced riders that were out there with us. Many of them lapped twice as fast as I did with great technique, which was very inspirational to me.

Bottom line: Some of the best training money I've ever spent and I plan to be a Code student for life in addition to pulling as many track days as I can. If you just want track time, standard track day groups are fine, but if you want top flight instruction as well, you'll be hard pressed to do better than the instruction provided in the Code courses.

Best of luck!

See what some others think in this thread I started to help me decide:
            Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2011, 10:34 AM.

Comment

all things in top shape and NO OIL LEAKS!

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
              Not so sure my 850G is the best track weapon
              I was preparing a '93 Katana 750 for my track bike, and that was more Power than a beginner needs, because the first day at least, you're just gonna play follow the leader with a group of your fellow FNG's.
              I think an 850G would be fine for that, but they're serious about having newish and sticky tires on the bike (Bridgestone BT45V good choice). All things in top shape and NO OIL LEAKS. My 1100G would be too leaky.
              After you graduate from novice you'll want a sport bike, that has rims that fit radial performance tires, but remember it's you're bike so one with bias ply tires is OK.
              Good excuse to rebuild a vintage sport bike.
              Bill
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I took one of his courses back in the mid '80s. He does cater to just about anyone but the more hi-speed/track time you have going into the course the more you're going to get out of it. Both in the track time and understanding the classroom part. I don't know what kind of experience you have but when I took it they were using track prepped 600 Ninja's that would probably pull 120 - 130 mph on the old Laguna track configuration. There were some students that were freaking out at anything over about 80 mph and I doubt they really got much out of the course other than maybe some classroom theory and the crap scared out of themselves with us blowing by them with a 50 mph advantage. The classroom part was very good and informative. I don't know what he's charging now but back then it was very reasonable and money well spent.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Well his prices range a lot. For the single day course on your own bike with your own gear its $450. The other end of the spectrum is a two-day all inclusive course on their BMW S1000RR's for a whopping $2300.

Ideally I'd love the two-day all inclusive, but seeing as that is way more cash than I can afford to drop (and twice the price of my GS) I'll probably do a single day on the BMW for about $600. I think this would be a good balance of value as my 850 leaks too much for the track.

Bill I am already toying with the idea of a vintage racer....

Comment

Tele's

I see your avatar is a butterscotch Telecaster. I'm thinking of getting a slimline, probably the Squier thinline in black and then sand off the top and redo it with a amber sunburst.
                    I have a Peavey T-15 that has a fabulous sound but the neck is too narrow for my big hands, so that's how got the GAS for a Tele.
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X