Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Cover Gasket - Where to get one quick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket - Where to get one quick?

My local dealer ordered me a gasket Wednesday and said I would have it today by 2, I checked today they tell me it won't be here til mid JULY!

I called a few online places trying to find a gasket for my 1979 GS425L, they were all out of stock, some had no ETA, others were 2-4 weeks.

I tried realgasket.com but they dont make one for my bike.

I am hoping someone can help me out, that's a lot of time to wait to take the 'new' bike out for an inaugural ride!

Just had a thought while writing, is it possible to just make my own gasket? What about some high temp RTV?

Remember that a lot of suppliers are waiting for things now since the earthquake/tsunami in Japan affected a lot of factories.

From what I hear the RTV idea won't work that great but check out Basscliff's site for making your own gasket.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Don't be tempted by the RTV. Don shows you how to make a gasket easy:

79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

HOLY COW! How did I miss that, I read that site countless times since I joined to GS group! That just made my weekend!! Cheers to you!

Thank you!

Comment

I might just have one. Let me take a pic and if it the one that you need, $5.00 plus shipping.
          But, I do like Don's technique.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel, if you get a chance that would be awesome if its the one I need!

I ended up making my own and got the bike on the road, not perfect but it works for the most part!

Comment

Is this the part number that you are after?

Does it look like this?

Daniel

Comment

Thanks Daniel, the one I need is part# 11173-44005, oh well worth a shot at least! Thanks for checking!

Comment

As others have suggested, failing everything else, just go out and buy a roll of gasket paper and make your own. Sometimes it's worth having a go, think of how much time it can save you by simply putting in a bit of effort to do things you otherwise wouldn't do.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2011, 03:22 AM. Reason: Just re-read my post, bad bad bad grammar. Couldn't handle leaving it there.

Comment

Yep thats what I did, cut my own, took time to get it cut to size but works and bike was on the road that afternoon!! Wooot!

Comment

Working...
                    X