85 gs450 engine chatter? Video inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs450 engine chatter? Video inside.

Bikes got 9k miles. Quiets a bit as it warms up but seems excessively loud as far as ticking goes... Any ideas what it may be or how to remedy it?

Thanks!

Check to see if your cam chain tensioner is working properly. Adjust the valves. Do you have a manual? There is one to download on BassCliff's site. Check to see if the cam chain has jumped a tooth or two. See my thread ,

cg
    Last edited by Charlie G; 06-16-2011, 11:02 PM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Could you do a vid from the side of the engine without reving it and maybe just off idle. Make it make the noise without the engine being too loud.

First guess,
      1. piston slap
      2. rod bearing or wrist pin

Second guess, Cam chain Slapping around, sounds loose and sounds like when you hear the tick there is an interruption in the sound of the cam chain whirring.

After watching a few more times I'm saying cam chain tensioner.
      Last edited by Mekanix; 06-16-2011, 11:16 PM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Charlie, thanks for the tip on the manual!
        When rebuilding then reinstalling the tensioner, once I release the set screw to tension the chain, do I retighten it or leave the set screw lose? It woild seem to me if I didnt retighten it, the cam chain would overcome the power of the spring in the tensioner once the motor was running and load was applied to the cam chain.

Im going to pull the tensioner today and rebuild it.

Wheres a good place to buy shims for adjusting the valves?
        Do you need the special suzuki tool for the tappet compression or can something be made to improvise?
        Mekanix, ill try to get another vid and repost it. Thanks for the help!

Comment

The tensioner is designed to not push back in unless you turn the knob. Once it's installed you loosen the screw and tighten the lock nut.

Comment

Good call guys! Turns out the tensioner set screw wasnt properly turned back to release the plunger... Or it was but then it was turned back and the set nut cranked down.
            Pulled the tensioner, cleaned it up, reinstalled per the manual and it purrs like a kitte. Now no more cam chain slapping all over the place.

Comment

Well done! Just found this and was gonna do a +1 on the tensioner like the others, very glad you found it

If I was you I'd be double checking the cam chain timing when doing the valve adjustments after knowing it was allowed to flap around...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

is tensioner jumping back and forth ,watch thumb screw?

Comment

Working...
                X