Rake and Tank???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rake and Tank???

Ok, I just got finished raking my frame and now the pinch bolt from the center of the tree hits my tank... Does anyone have an idea? could I just grind down the bolt lands and use a different way to pinch it if at all? or just bent the tank? I han't decided yet, just thought I would see what any of you have done. I'll try to get some pictures by MONDAY. Thanks Also still looking for a swingarm and struts fairly cheep... :P

Would a smaller tank help??
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

If youve gone to all the trouble of raking the tank, why not move the tank mounts back enough to clear? Thats what I did on mine after a 4* rake change.

Comment

This happened because you raked the frame by cutting the neck welds at the top & pulling the neck back. This is why I do ALL of my stock frame rake jobs by cutting the bottom & pushing it forward. Lesson learned? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
          If youve gone to all the trouble of raking the tank, why not move the tank mounts back enough to clear? Thats what I did on mine after a 4* rake change.
          Because you then have to move the seat & tail section & side panels to keep everything in line. If the neck is raked from the BOTTOM, none of the bodywork is affected. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Because you then have to move the seat & tail section & side panels to keep everything in line. If the neck is raked from the BOTTOM, none of the bodywork is affected. Ray.
            In my case I didnt because its a chopper and the stock isnt in the plans. But if the seat padding in the front is the same as it is on my 750s and 650, there is plenty of room to move and leave the seat by just shaving the padding.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              This happened because you raked the frame by cutting the neck welds at the top & pulling the neck back. This is why I do ALL of my stock frame rake jobs by cutting the bottom & pushing it forward. Lesson learned? Ray.
              Lesson learned..

Comment

How about countersinking and using an allen bolt and an allen nut?
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

the neck pincher is just a double redundancy. Between the outer pinch on the tubes and the top bolt you are not going to get any radial/axial/linear play from not pinching the center. cut it off and get more custom with the top tree plate.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                  X