81 gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100

81 GS1100, I been working on for a long time now and Im not too far away from where I would like it to be. Im still undecided about a street bike or a drag bike so I retained all working gauges, (except battery level light) lights and body work. Oh wait, I lost the horns somewhere but they will be back. I just got it together last night ans took it for a few laps around town and it feels prety good raked and streached. Anyways Im on my way this morning to find a wheel and slick that a friend has to see if I can make it happen. But cant we all have the best of both worlds? Untill I find another GS1100 for the street this one will have to take on both jobs.

Awesome job !!

Thats looks just right too.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Looking good! How did you get the tank to clear the steering head? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Looking good! How did you get the tank to clear the steering head? Ray.
        I just ground down the pinch bolt area. Luckly the mounts on the tank that go over the rubber stoppers just scraped by the coil mounting tabs and the tree. I took a little off of the front of each mounting tab just to make it a little smoother. But I am pretty happ with the way it fits. I just have to get a steering stabilizer/limiter so the forks and tree don't hit the tank, not that I care if they do but something in the back of my mind says its a good idea.

I just have to locate a rear wheel and slick wth brake caliper and mounting bracket. I took it out and it rode nicer then I thought it would. Im on a pretty tight budget so one piece at a time. I also found an 88 Chevy cargo van to make into my bike hauler, it gets 25 MPG with the 4.3l. Its retty rusty but I don't care, better then 10MPG with my suburban and 14ft enclosed hauler.

By the way the arm measures about 9.5" wide and is 30" long from the front of the frame mount to the lip of the adjusters. My friends got a set of GSXR 1k wheels with a rear slick, I think they are still a 20mm axle. just have to see about seeing if that would work and finding a way to still run my 630 chain, maybe drill the sprocket or something to fit IDK.. I guess I'll have to look around and see if I have to get an off-set front sprocket or something. But for now at least I can go to the track and join the fun. there isn't much of the season left but I can do a few dry runs and see what I all need to put in the van to make it a park and forget deal after the race.

Any other advice or ideas are very welcome.

Comment

Comment

Idea for your bike

You might like the look and feel of taking some of the foam out of the seat where you sit. It looks nice, and to me I feel more like I'm "in" the bike instead of "on" it. I guess that sounds odd, but to check it out take the seat off and sit on the rails for a second and see how it feels to sit that much lower.
            What else...I have a set of wheelie bars I'll sell you cheap if you want to try 'em out. I don't see mounting tabs for them on your struts, but wouldn't be too much to work that out.
            When you finish burning up that rear tire I have a Dunlop that might fit. It was used for six passes before being pulled for a slick. I'm not a tire expert, but that looks like a Continental back there. The Dunlop is almost sure to be a softer compound.
            What size main jets you have in that? Should be two or three sizes over stock, just from looking at it.

Comment

I think Im running 135 mains if I remember correctly, I have it writen down somewhere. As far as the seat I do plan on cutting it and making it lower. The tire is an IRC its not the best and with the solid swingarm I do feel the rear tire lose contact with the ground over some bumps on hard acceleration. Im looking to find a wider wheel so I can run a slick. I'd like to learn more about your wheelie bar, I do have mounts on my struts about 6" up from where they mount to the swingarm.

I raced last year with the stock swingarm and as far as jetting I think im pretty spot on as the plugs are a beautiful tan. I do think I need to go up again on my pilots because the idle started to climb again once the bike gets warm and the filters oil dries.

I been riding around town and like I said the ride is amazing compared to what I imagined it would be. If it wasn't so friggin humid I would be running today at the track but I don't want to T/T in this weather. And well would like a slick as well.

But yeah, contact me with some info about yoru wheelie bar. My zip for shipping is 57078, maybe calculate some shipping as well.

Comment

Wheelie bars

One pic. Top bar is 65' eye to eye, bottom bar is 52 and adjustable. They don't look great (need some paint) but were recently used on a 2009 Honda 1000 running high nines.

Comment

Wheelie bars

Bar end pic, shows adjustment holes. I'll sell these for $50 plus shipping. My guess on the shipping is around $20, but don't qoute me on that.

Jerry

Comment

really digging this bike!!!

So its around a 10" stretch and how much of a rake?

Just got to get out there and make some laps and tell us how it does!

Comment

Originally posted by hotrods316 View Post
                      really digging this bike!!!

So its around a 10" stretch and how much of a rake?

Just got to get out there and make some laps and tell us how it does!
                      I measured about 8" of stretch, 38 degrees rake. I hope in 2 weeks ill test and tune.
                      and looking back, the mains are 160

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

No updates yet, had some issues in the real world to deal with. lol I have a new picture at the track. ran a 12.13 so wasn't too bad.

I should be tearing it down pretty soon and having the crank welded so I can feel better about running a slick an launching it harder. I like it, its been a fun bike.

Comment

That wheelie bar looks like a pingel unit, mine connects to tabs welded above/below the rear axle w/ multiple holes for more adjustment. I run a CT rearend and a 26x6r15 w/ the front sprocket in stock position. No need for the offset sprocket carrier unless you plan on going all out drag w/ it and a wider than a 6" slick. You will have to drop your stock gearing a ton though once you get a slick on it. Nice bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X