Genuine XR 69

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genuine XR 69

A couple of months ago I attended the "Coupe Moto Légende" in Dijon, France. It's the largest gathering in France for classic bikes that is held every year on the Dijon-Prenois race track.
    Many famous racers come to this event and I personally saw: Phil Read, Jim Redman and Yvon Duhamel.
    For us GS fans the best is to come as I saw one original XR 69.
    This bike was raced in the FIM 1000cc class before the capacity got limited to 750 cc.Here are the pics! You will notice that the alternator was mounted of the rear chain sprocket

sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Good stuff. I like those as well. El G.

Comment

Just curious as to the top mount front calipers?
      I always thought the idea was to get the weight down low.
      Maybe for quick pit stop maintenance?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        Just curious as to the top mount front calipers?
        I always thought the idea was to get the weight down low.
        Maybe for quick pit stop maintenance?
        I wonder if it was not just a fashion as I remember the Honda 750 Daytona's were positionned the same way?
        However ease of pad change must be an important factor in Endurance races.
        Here's a better picture
        sigpicJohn Kat
        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
          I wonder if it was not just a fashion as I remember the Honda 750 Daytona's were positionned the same way?
          However ease of pad change must be an important factor in Endurance races.
          Here's a better picture
          Great pics, John, Thanks for posting. I wonder if the caliper location was for increased exposure to air flow, only a guess. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Good guess you are correct. Cooling was the reason

Toddk (I'm old, but I remember almost everything.)
            1979 Suzuki GS1000always wanted one, 1983 Honda CB1100F Hot Rod(does that show my age), 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750(rain bike)

Comment

Calipers ? I would guess for quick tire changes

Comment

Nice 8 valver, ULTIMATE!

I've never heard of this bike, I can see it had a great winning streak! Thanks for including that poster!
                That must be one of the ultimate Suzuki 8 valvers ever built, but what year were those wins, 1981? It looks like it's got the big wheels too!
                It looks just like one of the Heron Suzuki's.
                Thanks!
                Bill
                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  I've never heard of this bike, I can see it had a great winning streak! Thanks for including that poster!
                  That must be one of the ultimate Suzuki 8 valvers ever built, but what year were those wins, 1981? It looks like it's got the big wheels too!
                  Thanks!
                  Bill

Bill, take a look here:

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    Thanks!
                    Bill
                    Yes, I believe it was 1981 just before the ban of the 1000 cc class.
                    Here's another picture where you can imagine yourself driving the bike
                    Note that the clutch and brake levers are set in between the fork tubes...
                    It doesn't leave much leverage left to the rider in case of a high speed wobble!
                    sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Set up for just one race…

I'll bet that steering rig was meant for just one race and track.
                      An endurance race with mostly high speeds, with no need for juking around like in a short track race.
                      That list has only endurance races: 1000 KM, 8 hours, 24 hours.
                      Bill
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                        Yes, I believe it was 1981 just before the ban of the 1000 cc class.
                        Here's another picture where you can imagine yourself driving the bike
                        Note that the clutch and brake levers are set in between the fork tubes...
                        It doesn't leave much leverage left to the rider in case of a high speed wobble!
                        there was 1 more verison after this bike
                        last of the 8 valves this bike won the 1983 world endurance title
                        XR41 aluminium framed and motor had oil cooling similar to gsxr750 eg oil squirted under pistons for extra cooling
                        the next year they dropped the limit to 750

Comment

Working...
                        X