Oil Coolers on Vintage Race Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Coolers on Vintage Race Bikes

Just curious, does anyone know why the oil cooler lines are routed to the back of the engine on most of the gs race bikes (including the Wes Cooley ones I've seen). Where exactly is the cooled oil routed into? Why don't the normal GS coolers route this way?

The oil lines are routed to the oil temp/pressure sensor. El G.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSster View Post
      Just curious, does anyone know why the oil cooler lines are routed to the back of the engine on most of the gs race bikes (including the Wes Cooley ones I've seen). Where exactly is the cooled oil routed into? Why don't the normal GS coolers route this way?
      As already said, the lines are routed directly into the pressure switch block. I would think the main reason production bikes don't do this is due to asthetics and practicality. I have lines run that way on my Katana, but they also include a thermostat for street use;

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
        As already said, the lines are routed directly into the pressure switch block. I would think the main reason production bikes don't do this is due to asthetics and practicality. I have lines run that way on my Katana, but they also include a thermostat for street use;

**just gotta give you and Suzuki praise for an awesome lookin machine....I am gettin really hooked on these Katana's**

Comment

Wow, lots of nice details on that Katana - thanks for sharing - love the chrome clutch cover. How are you filtering those velocity stacks on the street?

Also, was it a kit to run the coolant lines to the pressure switch block or something you made yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
            **just gotta give you and Suzuki praise for an awesome lookin machine....I am gettin really hooked on these Katana's**
            Same here. The Katana bug got me about a month ago lol.

Wow, lots of nice details on that Katana - thanks for sharing - love the chrome clutch cover. How are you filtering those velocity stacks on the street?

Also, was it a kit to run the coolant lines to the pressure switch block or something you made yourself?
            That's not chrome! It's polished aluminum!

Comment

love the chrome clutch cover. How are you filtering those velocity stacks on the street?

As someone else pointed out - the clutch cover is polished.

I love the sound velocity stacks make at WOT, but it wasn't right to leave that engine unfiltered - so the stacks were swapped for K&N pods;

I purchased the oil cooler as complete kit (ex Japan). It mounts where the black plastic 'grill' mounts on a stock Kat;

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacstogo View Post
                As someone else pointed out - the clutch cover is polished.

I love the sound velocity stacks make at WOT, but it wasn't right to leave that engine unfiltered - so the stacks were swapped for K&N pods;

I purchased the oil cooler as complete kit (ex Japan). It mounts where the black plastic 'grill' mounts on a stock Kat;

Dang that thing is white gloves clean...what a beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Dang that thing is white gloves clean...what a beauty!

Thanks.

I should really get it out and get some decent photos of it - most of the ones I have are restoration pictures or closeups of specific areas;

Comment

Can anybody tell me if the 78 gs750ec came with an oil cooler from the factory?

I just bought one from a buddy, and it has one.
                    The lines look newer and the cooler says "made in the USA"
                    It also has a sensor rigged in.

I know the answer seems pretty obvious...but I don't know if maybe he upgraded a factory cooler, or just installed one alltogether.

I really cannot find anything about this in the manual!

-------
                    I know he cammed the bike, did pistons, and was planning on making a drag bike, but never finished it.

Just got it for $300 w/ title, and it runs.

Comment

No, oil coolers were aftermarket items.
                      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                        No, oil coolers were aftermarket items.
                        .....except for on the GS700, GS1150, and the '83 GS750ES and late GS550's.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
                        X