Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 450 will not start.

Hi,
    I recently did a complete tear down of my GS 450T in order to rebuild the transmission. I re-assembled the engine and re-mounted it in the frame and it started right up...but the counterbalance shaft was misaligned. I had to tear the motor down again in order to fix the counterbalance, so i did and reassembled it as i had before. Now it refuses to start at all. I have compression, spark and fuel; and have checked the timing in order to be sure that it is 100% If I try to bump start it it sounds like its running but as soon as it stops rolling downhill it putters out. Not quite sure what to do here :\

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Eric2010 View Post
    Hi,
    I recently did a complete tear down of my GS 450T in order to rebuild the transmission. I re-assembled the engine and re-mounted it in the frame and it started right up...but the counterbalance shaft was misaligned. I had to tear the motor down again in order to fix the counterbalance, so i did and reassembled it as i had before. Now it refuses to start at all. I have compression, spark and fuel; and have checked the timing in order to be sure that it is 100% If I try to bump start it it sounds like its running but as soon as it stops rolling downhill it putters out. Not quite sure what to do here :\

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
    There's an old expression- two wrongs don't make a right, but three might! Maybe this applies to teardowns. Are you sure your timing is not 180 degrees out?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just finished re-timing it for the third time today according to my hanes manual,; My father thinks that it is lacking a large deal of compression.

Comment

I almost wonder if a backfire could have blown the piston and or valves..

Comment

Is it possible that when I attempted to start the bike with the timing off the valves punched a hole in the pistons?

Comment

If the cam timing is off, then valve contact on the pistons is likely. End result could be bent valves or a holed piston, and I imagine both would lead to rather low compression...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Eric2010 View Post
              I just finished re-timing it for the third time today according to my hanes manual,; My father thinks that it is lacking a large deal of compression.
              Check the basics- #1 piston at TDC, are both of its valves closed and timing mark on crank indicating #1 plug is about to fire?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry about the slow response, work has been rather time consuming lately... I pulled the head and valve contact did happen, my exhaust valves are bent over quite a bit. The valves are definitely shot, im hoping that the valve seat is ok.

Comment

Valve seats are spent, but on the bright side I ordered a whole new head for $70 off of ebay Should be here around the same time my racing leathers arrive.

Comment

Hopefully it's in good condition and will be a good swap that gets you running!

Probably worth doing a quick leak down test when you get it, make sure the valves seats are ok and the valves are sealing well.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                    X