first 9 sec pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first 9 sec pass

So i finally made it back to the track to make my lic runs.First pass shut off at 330 1.36 short second pass shut off at 660 1.36 short third pass shut off at 1000 1.36 short 9.72 at 102 and two full passes 1.35 short 9.36 at 137 shut off at lights last pass 1.36 short 9.64 at 135 spinning like mad and after checking i had 1.5 lbs air in back tire.I was the only drag bike at the track with a pile of super fast street bikes with one running 8.80.Now i can actually race somebody they are very sticky at the track these days so if you have no lic you aint running.now the fun begins trying to squeeze out a bit more

Ah...good news. Those 1.3X 60's are fun, aren't they...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

FANTASTIC news! any pictures?

1.5 PSI?!?!? you are lucky the tire did not blow off of the beads

a hi quality low pressure tire gauge is priceless. Like an intercomp liquid filled one $50.00 from SUMMIT catalog.

I can't stress it enough check the tries EVERY PASS - until you can get an idea of how quickly they leak below safe riding pressure. Slicks are known for seeping air.

Once I let go of the button and my goodyear went POOF! unmounting it in a tenth of a milli-second. [yep cheap low pressure gauge went bad.]
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

CONGRATS Steve!!! Now you get to find out just how humbling RACING can be!!! Have fun & be safe! And what Jeff said, get a GOOD 0-15 psi air gauge, ONLY use it on the REAR tire, & NEVER, NEVER, EVER loan your gauge to anyone! The first time it gets used on something with over 20 psi in it you can throw it away! That's why I never loan mine. Ray.

Comment

Well great for you, thats why I plan to stick around the 10 second range, don't care for all the added bologna. Im havong a hard enough time trying to put my bike together now. If I can run a conistant time running low 10's I'll let it ride for a few seasons I think, but if its all over the board I might step it up till its consistant. But Im jealous that you gt to race and Im still having a missing wheel and slick issue. Found some wheelie bars, but they have to wait till the end of the week to buy them.

Keep us posted, and maybe post some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            CONGRATS Steve!!! Now you get to find out just how humbling RACING can be!!! Have fun & be safe! And what Jeff said, get a GOOD 0-15 psi air gauge, ONLY use it on the REAR tire, & NEVER, NEVER, EVER loan your gauge to anyone! The first time it gets used on something with over 20 psi in it you can throw it away! That's why I never loan mine. Ray.

We use a Longacre 5" dial o-15 PSI. Supposed to be accurate to 1% =/-. Have checked ours against the Top Alcohol boys gauges and seems to be right on. Trippi is right about slicks losing pressure. We check our rears at the the blue line just before the waterbox.

Comment

Steve,

I had a routine I stuck to every run. When I got back to my pits I visually looked over the entire bike.
              I checked...

2 step settings
              battery connections
              front wheel bolts incl. caliper bolts
              engine mounts
              wiggled the front end to make sure all was tight
              exhaust front to back
              rear wheel nut
              rear wheel alignment
              chain tension
              body parts/panels
              wheelie bars
              the tire pressure was one of the last things, as you want it to be as cool as possible so it will be the same at launch time.

I probably forgot a few things we used to check but if you get into a routine it will definitely help your consistency. And its all about going rounds isn't it.

Were you racing at TMP?
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                Steve,

I had a routine I stuck to every run. When I got back to my pits I visually looked over the entire bike.
                I checked...

2 step settings
                battery connections
                front wheel bolts incl. caliper bolts
                engine mounts
                wiggled the front end to make sure all was tight
                exhaust front to back
                rear wheel nut
                rear wheel alignment
                chain tension
                body parts/panels
                wheelie bars
                the tire pressure was one of the last things, as you want it to be as cool as possible so it will be the same at launch time.

I probably forgot a few things we used to check but if you get into a routine it will definitely help your consistency. And its all about going rounds isn't it.

Were you racing at TMP?
                I was at tmp and was rushing my last 3 passes which I made in 20 min. I do need a routine for sure

Comment

Forget a set routine!

you will have a day where everything goes goofy whompus. I find that being fluid and adaptable under pressure is a much better plan. Solving problems in seconds/minutes takes a clear head not a checklist.

Sure there are specific details that should be checked but a set routine in the pits or at the staging line can and will bite ya in the butt.

I love to use habitual routines as a tool against my competitors. It works like a charm- and it is ethical and legal {competitively speaking}.

after you get the shift points set, gearing set, jetting set, wheelie bar hgt. set, dont make yourself crazy because really all there is to do is;
                  1. gas -
                  2. compressed air -(shifter,tire)
                  3. charge the battery. -
                  4. collect and analyize information.(weather,wind, slow stagers,E.T.'s etc..)

I do all the major mechanical preparing like nastyjones stated at home . A paint pen to mark front axle nut,clutch hub nut, etc... so a quick visual will tell if anything major has moved. Granted, certain things arise in random order but staying calm and being prepared for anything at any time takes practice.

write it down - everything you can remember about your bike , the track, competitors and review your facts often. I know when my competitors are sandbagging because I make it a point to know their times/routines.

superior information is a powerful tool.

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                    Forget a set routine!

you will have a day where everything goes goofy whompus. I find that being fluid and adaptable under pressure is a much better plan. Solving problems in seconds/minutes takes a clear head not a checklist.

Sure there are specific details that should be checked but a set routine in the pits or at the staging line can and will bite ya in the butt.

I love to use habitual routines as a tool against my competitors. It works like a charm- and it is ethical and legal {competitively speaking}.

after you get the shift points set, gearing set, jetting set, wheelie bar hgt. set, dont make yourself crazy because really all there is to do is;
                    1. gas -
                    2. compressed air -(shifter,tire)
                    3. charge the battery. -
                    4. collect and analyize information.(weather,wind, slow stagers,E.T.'s etc..)

I do all the major mechanical preparing like nastyjones stated at home . A paint pen to mark front axle nut,clutch hub nut, etc... so a quick visual will tell if anything major has moved. Granted, certain things arise in random order but staying calm and being prepared for anything at any time takes practice.

write it down - everything you can remember about your bike , the track, competitors and review your facts often. I know when my competitors are sandbagging because I make it a point to know their times/routines.

superior information is a powerful tool.
                    needless to say i am only getting started and really appreciate all the feedback,my goal this year was to get the liscense and that part is underway.seat time and experience is what i need so i will make it back to the track maybe 3-4 times barring any problems.I do know it was a rush actually just making a complete pass, the wheelie bar launch was completely unevenful but i have never been on anything that accelerates from a standstill so quickly that was cool, pretty sure i looked like a 6 year old on christmas morn when i got my slip.Each time i have been to the track i learn a bit more.After my first run the clutch was dragging again even with a new basket,fibres and what appeared like good steels but two steeles were jamming in the basket so i tore it apart put it back together and got back out there,must of worked cause i ran my best pass right after.
                    there will be more checks done the next time and i will not rush the process. Thanks guys
                    would love to post some pics but we had no room on the sd card in the camera the wife sent bummer

Comment

CONGRAT`S it feels good doesn`t it.

Comment

made it back fri for some test and tune ran 5 passes with best of 9.24 137 with a 1.32 short time.What was the most fun was having two harley destroyers at the track but neither would line up with the old suz good for them cause my worst pass was 9.44 and between the two of them their best was 9.70 chicken****s

Comment

that's a gass! great short time. you and I'd be side by side all the way down the track.

Comment

Originally posted by amxsteve View Post
                            made it back fri for some test and tune ran 5 passes with best of 9.24 137 with a 1.32 short time.What was the most fun was having two harley destroyers at the track but neither would line up with the old suz good for them cause my worst pass was 9.44 and between the two of them their best was 9.70 chicken****s
                            Yeah!Those Destroyers are really exciting.As in not! "Cookie Cutter" drag bikes that are only good for one thing. Who'da Thunk it? There are a lot of them for sale at low prices.

Comment

Working...
                            X