By Pass Clutch Starting Switch????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By Pass Clutch Starting Switch????

Has anyone by pass the clutch starting switch? Would it cause a constant draw on the battery? Can you direct me to where to find these question?
    I inspected and cleaned the switch and the copper U plate is grooved and I have to mover the clutch lever in and out a bit to start the bike. Thanks.
    Dibber

Anyone? I'd say probably half of us.

Follow the yellow/green wires from the switch into the headlight bucket. In the bucket, you will find them connecting to a couple of bullet connectors that are part of the main harness. Simply disconnect the clutch switch from the main harness and connect the two connectors on the main harness to each other.

There is no additional drain on the electrical system, it just thinks the clutch is ALWAYS pulled, so be doubly sure that the bike is in neutral before pushing the starter button.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Anyone? I'd say probably half of us.

so be doubly sure that the bike is in neutral before pushing the starter button.

Probably even more.
      And, yes, make CERTAIN that you are on the bike and it is in neutral before starting.

Daniel

Comment

Yes remove a safety mechanism. Always a wise course of action.
        When your bike is on the ground remember it was properly connected for a reason.

Comment

Thank you so much. Now there will be even more of us with the switch disconnected. As for starting, this is the first bike I have had with a switch. Now it will just feel more natural when starting.
          You folks are great!
          The Dibber

Comment

Out of curiosity, why do so many people disconnect the switch? Is there something to gain from it, other than eliminating one point in the starting circuit that could go bad over time? I cleaned my switch about six years ago and have had no problems with it so far but I'll probably clean the old dielectric grease from six years ago and do it again next winter.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
              Out of curiosity, why do so many people disconnect the switch?
              Because the switch is very dangerous.
              Last edited by tkent02; 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Once had a bike with no safety switch. Engine died while out for a spin. While trying to figure out what had gone wrong, I hit the starter button causing the bike to lurch forward (still in gear). Luckily she did not fire and the side stand stayed down. My fault for not checking. A good, but startling lesson, could have been a catastrophy.
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Suzuki never bothered if us Brits got killed it seems. We didn't have the switch on our old GSs. I don't think I got killed.

I pull them off anyway on anything newer as I think they are a PITA if you're tinkering and want to start the bike while holding a cup of tea in the other hand.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Because it's very dangerous.
                    ... I assume you're being facetious? Removing the clutch switch doesn't have the same draw for me as sky diving or tonning it up does.

Comment

Because not being able to start the engine quickly can get you run over.
                      A switch adding another level of difficulty just makes it harder to start, more things you have to remember if you kill the engine in traffic and need the engine running quickly. it was not required by the nanny state before 1980, nor anywhere else in the world after 1980.

If you are completely incompetent and feel somehow safer on a bike which requires three hands to start the engine, leave the switch connected.

Comment

Life seems so much simpler without clutch and side stand safety switches.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          If you are completely incompetent and feel somehow safer on a bike which requires three hands to start the engine, leave the switch connected.
                          Ahh, there's my little ray of sunshine...

Were you holding the terminals together with two hands and trying to figure out how to push the button with something else? Because it only takes me two fingers and a thumb to start up once the ignition is on.

If your argument that clutch switches are "very dangerous" is because there might be a hypothetical situation where you'd have to start a stationary bike one handed in order to avoid injury I'm going to go ahead and guess you aren't real big on seat belts or helmets either. Darn overprotective nanny state...

Seriously man, it takes so much effort and time to pull in the lever in that hypothetical situation that it's the difference between life and death? I guess I'll be sorry on that day when I can't figure out how to use my left hand but still feel like I need to get the bike moving.

/\/\ac

Comment

Seat belts and helmets, two safety devices which actually enhance safety. Yes I use them, I'm not retarded, not do I want to be. The opposite of the clutch switch, which dos not enhance anything.
                            But hey, if you feel safer with it connected, leave it connected.

Comment

Working...
                            X