84 GS400, Intake Boot O-Ring size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS400, Intake Boot O-Ring size?

I was checking out http://www.cycleorings.com/, but they don't seem to mention anything about the 400 series.

Anyone know what Boot O-rings will fit?

Hi,

What size are your carbs? Are they the BS34SS like the 450?

Send Robert Barr an email and see what he says. You could always order from an online OEM vendor.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

What size are your carbs? Are they the BS34SS like the 450?

Send Robert Barr an email and see what he says. You could always order from an online OEM vendor.

BassCliff
      according to clymer manual, Yes all 400-450's from 77-87 have the bs34.

According to this page I may be out of luck:http://www.cycleorings.com/450.html
      Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2011, 01:14 AM.

Comment

gs400

BS34SS CV carbs

Intake Orings: 2.5mm x 34mm ID and 39mm OD (I just happened to have some and those are the measurements brand new)

450 intake o rings not interchangeable, (larger)

Some 450 gaskets are interchangeable except a few on the head.

Like these o rings and the valve stem seals and valve cover breather gasket.

The valve cover gasket is unique though and changes for different years of 400's from 80-86

I only know of 3 different ones.

Oh one more thing, if you ever rebuild the engine and use a kit for a 450 you can use the head gasket and it will work but you will loose a bit of compression. The 400 is a sort or rounded square shape where as the 450 is just round.
        Last edited by Mekanix; 07-26-2011, 01:56 AM.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Hi,

After a little research, part# 09280-34004 is what you need. All of the online fiches I've checked show that it's still available, about $3 apiece. That part is still used in a lot of bikes.

For non-US bikes I use the parts fiche at www.cmsnl.com.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

After a little research, part# 09280-34004 is what you need. All of the online fiches I've checked show that it's still available, about $3 apiece. That part is still used in a lot of bikes.

For non-US bikes I use the parts fiche at www.cmsnl.com.

BassCliff
            HAHA awesome, thanks!

...Those rubber boots are expensive to replace, I hope mine aren't damaged/

Comment

Originally posted by scottmc View Post
              HAHA awesome, thanks!

...Those rubber boots are expensive to replace, I hope mine aren't damaged/
              When you took your carbs off to get at starter motor, did you just slip them out of the boots, or actually unscrew the boots from the head? The o-rings should be replaced, but the boots could be so hard (or cracked) that they no longer form a tight seal. Look at them real carefully before you reassemble everything. Yes, they are expensive, but you only need two!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                When you took your carbs off to get at starter motor, did you just slip them out of the boots, or actually unscrew the boots from the head? The o-rings should be replaced, but the boots could be so hard (or cracked) that they no longer form a tight seal. Look at them real carefully before you reassemble everything. Yes, they are expensive, but you only need two!
                I slipped them out of the boots, is this the right procedure? I would hate to have to replace them, I have found only two website that carry them, and they are between 70-100 dollars shipped.

Comment

I just bit the bullet and spent $60 on new boots for my GR, so I feel your pain. Preventive maintenance probably, since it appears to be running fine with the new o-rings.

Comment

Working...
                  X