GS450L problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450L problem?

Ok, I have a 1981 gs450l. Sometimes when I first start the bike, the what i assume is the timing chain ajuster will start to turn with the engie when the bike is running making a knocking sound. So I just grabed the knob (Located under the carbs out the back inside of the motor) hold it and it will stop.
    Has 17800 miles. It always leaked oil from the tach cable connection to the block but for a long time
    Thanks

Probably your spring is tired and just needs some more tension. However the cam chain tensioner is easy to rebuild and the parts are cheap. See the instructions here:

(this is linked to off of BassCliff's page, BTW)

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
      Ok, I have a 1981 gs450l. Sometimes when I first start the bike, the what i assume is the timing chain ajuster will start to turn with the engie when the bike is running making a knocking sound. So I just grabed the knob (Located under the carbs out the back inside of the motor) hold it and it will stop.
      Has 17800 miles. It always leaked oil from the tach cable connection to the block but for a long time
      Thanks
      I second that. Also, where in the world are you located? You might have a GSer near by that can help in person.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
        I second that. Also, where in the world are you located? You might have a GSer near by that can help in person.
        I'm in East Stroudsburg, pa. Also would a loose timing chain cause a jump in the Rpms while riding the bike?
        Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I'm in East Stroudsburg, pa. Also would a loose timing chain cause a jump in the Rpms while riding the bike?
          Gee...you're only about 230 miles east of me.

Are you talking a spike that drops or an increase as you ride?
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Maybe , but it could cause a jump in timing. Review the correct method of removing AND reinstalling the cam chain tensioner. The sliding shaft ( this is pressing against chain) needs to be locked in place BEFORE removal . Once you have it out, review how it works to ensure no one has fiddled with it before and forgot to inform you. Installed correctly, it only lets sliding shaft push out against chain and not pushback. You can test this feature while it's in your hands.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X