RPM jumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM jumps

On my gs450l while I am riding the bike, and i rev the bike to 4,500 rpms or close to 5,000 and shift the bike shifts fine. If I rev it to 6,000 it will jump to 7,000 rpms very fast without giving the bike any gas. Would a -3 front +2 on the rear sproket cause this problem?
    In 6th gear the bike wont go 55 with out reving high and going any faster makes the bike rev way to high to even ride because it sounds like the engine could blow.
    I miss going 70-80 and the bike not reving so high. What could cause this?

why the hell would you put a -3 on the front and a +2 on the rear?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
      I miss going 70-80 and the bike not reving so high. What could cause this?
      Direct consequence of the way you have changed the factory gearing.

Comment

You guessed it - your bike is now too low geared. It should probably be able to pull around a ton or so at the redline.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I changed the gearing at the beginning of the summer and it ran fine till now, did the bike get uses to the new gearing and thats why it is running that way now? Is that that what your saying? And will this hurt the bike in the long run?

Comment

If it was ok with the low gearing before and it's only just started doing this then it's your clutch slipping. Have you changed the oil recently, adjusted the clutch or do you slip it racer style when you pull away?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I use the clutch everytime i shift. and i do go though alot of clutch cables like one a summer but i ride everyday. Friends are telling me to start to power shift after 2nd gear but i dont like to. Also yea for some reason this summer it seems to be burning oil. cause its losing oil but not leaking on the ground. Also this summer the clutch got stuck on me but i fixed that.
              Thanks for your help.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I'm guessing that your clutch is slipping. Do you know what that feels like? If not, a simple test -ride the bike in say 3rd or 4th at 6k rpm, apply the brakes and hit the throtlle full on at the same time. Watch your tach and your speedo. If the tach goes up and the speedo goes down / stays still your clutch is slipping.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

when i hit the brakes should i pull in the clutch at the same time?, And i was just going on a test ride to feel what it is doing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tak View Post
                    when i hit the brakes should i pull in the clutch at the same time?, And i was just going on a test ride to feel what it is doing again.
                    No - leave the clutch alone. You are testing to see if the clutch is (partially) disengaging without you pulling the lever in so if you touch the lever you'll mess up the test.

Play safe and find a very quiet bit of road or an empty car park etc for the test!
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

It seems the clutch cable vibrated loose while riding. So I ajusted that and it's fine now. I can't believe that was caused by that. Thanks again for the help, this sites the best. Thanks for helping me keep my bike on the road. Funny you would say stay safe because a new yorker ran me off the road on the way home and they turned the side of there van in front of me while my rear brakes were locked up skidding side ways all most into them. Went around the front of there car after they stop on the side of the road and kept going. Fun ride. They turned off the road cause my friend in front of me passed them on the side of the road. And I was following him. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        You guessed it - your bike is now too low geared. It should probably be able to pull around a ton or so at the redline.
                        Lol, you are right the bike was pulling me and the girlfriend better then normal the day it started happening. The high revs make it a little scarier at speeds. And I lowered the gearing for more power with both of us on it. But I should have stayed with stock but stock gears were a few dollars more then I had at the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X