So, new shims for three, or just one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, new shims for three, or just one?

I'm doing my first valve adjustment on my GR650. According to Clymers, the valves should be between .04 and .08.

Two are at .04, one is at .05, and one is tighter than .04. Don't have a smaller guage, so not sure exactly what it is .

So, seeing that I need to shim at least one, should I do all three that are on the low end of things while I am in there?

Thanks for your help

Hey, see if you can find a service manual, basscliff's web site has alot. I set mine at .07mm. It gives you alot more torque and a longer adjustment period inbetween. For the one that is tighter than an 04 get it out as I was told with mine. I do alot of reading on here and have picked up on who seems to be more experienced here. These guys are setting their valves at about .08, why reinvent the wheel. We have a valve shim club in here, ghost runs it. I got my shims for 4 bucks each and another free with a trade. I sent in mine he sent me what I needed. Take your time, and do as the other more experienced ones her have done, get them close to .08 and get them real close in numbers as you can so the valves are all in sinc. I wouldn't have an .04 and an .08 two valves down but thats me.

Comment

If you plan to keep it past the next adjustment, go ahead and order them, just to have them on hand for when they do get tight. You can save yourself a shipping charge that way, and you won't have to wait next time. If the engine has high mileage, or hasn't had fresh valve seats cut, the clearances won't get tight for a while (assuming this is the same on the GR).

The real problem is when you have zero clearance. That's when valves start to burn because they can't keep the combustion gases in the chamber. Valves that are on the low side of the tolerance now won't run out of clearance before the next service. Less than the low, and they might run out of clearance. Replacing them so they are on the high side (or a little looser) won't hurt anything, they'll just be a little louder.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
        Hey, see if you can find a service manual, basscliff's web site has alot. I set mine at .07mm. It gives you alot more torque and a longer adjustment period inbetween. For the one that is tighter than an 04 get it out as I was told with mine. I do alot of reading on here and have picked up on who seems to be more experienced here. These guys are setting their valves at about .08, why reinvent the wheel. We have a valve shim club in here, ghost runs it. I got my shims for 4 bucks each and another free with a trade. I sent in mine he sent me what I needed. Take your time, and do as the other more experienced ones her have done, get them close to .08 and get them real close in numbers as you can so the valves are all in sinc. I wouldn't have an .04 and an .08 two valves down but thats me.
        It seems there are two schools of thought on this.

Before joining the shim club, make sure the GR uses the same shims as the GS.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks everybody.

Just went a got longer zip ties and will try pulling the one I know is below tolerance.

Cycle-Recycle II in Indy is supposed to have the correct shims, so will head that way this afternoon or tomorrow and pick some up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
            It seems there are two schools of thought on this.

Before joining the shim club, make sure the GR uses the same shims as the GS.
            AAAhhhhhhhhh, a voice of experience, I love this place, thanks Dogma

Comment

Looks like almost all Suzuki's, if not all, use 29.5mm shims. Pretty sure the GR650 does as well, but will confirm it.

Comment

I'm certain they are the same shims as used in the GS series. I'm not sure why Suzuki chose the GR designation instead of the GS. Seems like a lot of the Engine parts can be swapped into the GS twins. Ray
                "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

You are correct, Ray. The shop owner found the 275 I was asking about and handed to me and said, "There you go, a 29mm 275 shim."

Thanks the information I've picked up from you all, I said, "Hold on, the Suzuki uses a 29.5mm shim." Turned out he had grabbed the Kawasaki shims by mistake.

I've not found much so far that didn't have a cross reference with the GS series. Lucky for me. Orphaned bikes can be a real problem to get parts for, but so far, so good.

Comment

For what it is worth, my local Kawasaki dealer lets me swap out shims for $2 each when needed. To me, THAT is worth the $2.
                    Perhaps your Suz dealer would too? Never hurts to ask politely?

Comment

The Cycle-Recycle guy said he does that on occasion. In fact, the one I bought was used. He's a pretty good drive from here. Betting the closest dealer will have nothing to do with that kind of swap.

Comment

Kawasaki shims are smaller (29mm vs. 29.5 for Suzuki) and should NOT be used. Get the proper parts please.
                        Last edited by Nessism; 08-04-2011, 05:04 AM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Those shims were for the GPZ. Ya, they are tiny (13 mm, I think).
                          I've never asked my local Suz. dealer if they will do that or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            Kawasaki shims are smaller (29mm vs. 29.5 for Suzuki) and should NOT be used. Get the proper parts please.
                            Oh I did. Based on info from this site I requested and got the 29.5 size. He keeps a tube with the inside diameter of 29mm in the shim boxes. If the shim fits it's a Kawasaki shim, if not, it's a Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                            X