Can't change gears after new clutch discs and springs install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't change gears after new clutch discs and springs install

After changing my clutch discs and springs, I was ready to ride. No problem going into first gear or neutral, but the bike won't go into second, or any other gear. Also, part of the problem is that the shift lever will not spring back into position after the gear selection is made. I disassembled the linkage to the "shifter shaft" to find that the shaft itself does stick, thus eliminating the forward linkage. I don't know what I might have done wrong... if anything in replacing the disks and springs, that might have effected the shifter?

You have to engage the clutch to shift. I bet your adjustment is off.
    Can you shift while it's not running? Can you roll the bike in gear with the clutch pulled?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. seangs,

I'll let the clutch experts help you with that. If you need a manual, you'll probably find one on my little website.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I can roll the bike in gear. I can ride in with engine on in first as well. I tried to adjust the cable to no avail. The problem seems to be that the shifter does not bounce back when moving it up or down. It doesn't spring, and i cannot access the other gears as a result. Almost as if ...like a ratchet, it doesn't get to the next tooth to get me to the next gear. Which adjustment is off that you are refering to?

Comment

followup

Actually, I was mistaken. I cannot roll the bike in first gear. The rear wheel locks up.

Comment

Did you take a picture of your shift lever before removing it? I had the exact same issue earlier this year and found I installed the lever just a tooth or two off.

But, we can't give you more than that until you tell us what kind of bike this is. Please put it in your signature block so we don't have to always ask.
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Shifter not moving up beyond neutral

Thanks! Its a 2001 GS500e. I didn't take a pic. The shifter is in the same spot. I took off the lever and tried to manually move the shaft and it wouldn't move up to second

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Did you take a picture of your shift lever before removing it? I had the exact same issue earlier this year and found I installed the lever just a tooth or two off.

But, we can't give you more than that until you tell us what kind of bike this is. Please put it in your signature block so we don't have to always ask.

Comment

behind your clutch basket where the shifter goes through the engine there is a spring that returns the shifter.
                There is also the gears that mesh with the shifter that moves the shifter drum.
                Did you mess with this at all like removing the shifter?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X