Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Preventative Maintenance

Hello everyone~!

My bike has been running pretty well lately and it's got me worried! I've done an overhaul of most of the systems on the bike since I bought it two years ago (electrical, tires, chain/sprockets, wheel bearings, brakes, cables, valve jobs, carbs) but I haven't done anything yet regarding the cam chain tensioner...

I would assume the bike still has the original tensioner, and that means it's 30 years old. The bike was ridden ~11k miles between '81 and '84, then sat until I purchased it. I have since put about 3,500 miles on it. At this point I have no real reason to think that it's bad, but I was wondering if there is a way I can test/check it and do a little preventative maintenance.

All suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

I've never done anything to my timing chain tensioner except remove it when I replaced my head gasket, cleaned it up put a new gasket on it and it's worked fine for 90,400 miles. Probably nothing needs to be done with it.

Comment

Read up on the engine rebuild part of the Clymer manual and there's a method there for testing it.

Next time you do your valves, give it a go. Very easy check and worthwhile.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Here is an example of the rebuild process: http://bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html
        I watched bwringer do it to my bike. The most difficult part seemed to be removing and installing the carbs, which should be a lot easier on a twin.

Comment

Alright, now that I've posted this up and said that everything looks good... the tensioner is leaking oil!!! WOO HOO!!

Soooo it looks like I'll be following bwringer's rebuild guide. It's just a small leak so I may not do it until I get a little more free time early this fall and I can keep riding it right now

Comment

Hahahahah I've never heard anyone get so excited about a tensior rebuild!

Seriously, it's nice and straight forward as long as your careful and do it right and absolutely don't forget to loctite the bits that need it, that's one thing you definitely don't want coming apart while riding!
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I did mine without removing the carbs. It is possible with the right tools. Loctite or lock washer the nut that holds the knurled knob on the tensiner. Bad news if that nut comes off.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                Alright, now that I've posted this up and said that everything looks good... the tensioner is leaking oil!!! WOO HOO!!

Soooo it looks like I'll be following bwringer's rebuild guide. It's just a small leak so I may not do it until I get a little more free time early this fall and I can keep riding it right now
                Don't forget to follow correct removal procedure for tensioner! loosen lock nut and Tighten lock screw on shaft before pulling it out. Once out, you will quickly see how it works.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

While it's out, check the end of the rod for damage.

This is the tensioner from my wife's bike:

After a tender touch on the grinding wheel:

I dressed it a bit with a file before putting it back in.

With a dimple that size, it may not be able to move to take up slack, as necessary.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

With a dimple that size, it may not be able to move to take up slack, as necessary.

Wow. Any idea how that happened? Ordinarily there shouldn't be anywhere near enough force in the tensioner to leave a Brinnel mark like that.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X