pilot screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot screws

Ok this is sort of a continuation of my idiot thread. Got the bike running pretty well and it flys down the road. The one concern I have is the air/fuel mixture screw doesn't seem to be working properly. They have a new o-ring at the top and the tips aren't broken.When attempting the highest rpm method, they slow the bike way down when turned all the way in, but don't kill it. And it seems to only like 1 and 1/2 turns out, and any more and there is no difference in rpms. My manual shows a picture of the screw and it's parts (but for a 400 or 425, not a 450). It shows the screw then spring, then a washer, and lastly a very small o-ring on the end. The one on the 450 only has o-ring near top and a spring nothing else. Does anyone have a 450 and could tell me what parts are suppose to be in there with the pilot screw. Sorry should have call these idle mixture screws! terrylee
    Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM.

No one have any ideas? terrylee

Comment

I don't deal with the 450 carbs, as they are just a bit different.

Have you looked at Flaming Chainsaw's guide for them?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will take a look tomorrow and post what i see.

Comment

Washer

Yes, you are missing the washer. spring,washer, o'ring. Perhaps part was lost upon re-installation by the last person working on it. Bob

Comment

Are you sure the old o-ring and washer aren't still in there? I take a long screw and take them out.
            If you are missing the washer you do need it.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I did check Chainsaws rebuild and only showed a spring and the screw. I have dug around in there and nothing is coming out and I see nothing in there. I also bought the o-ring kit from cycle-o-rings and it included the o-ring for the top off the screw, but not a really small one for the end of the screw. I may have not seen the washer fall out when I took screws out, and I'm pretty sure the tiny o-ring for the end was in very tiny pieces and ended up in the bottom the carb. bowls. Anyone know where I can get the washers and tiny o-rings for the end of the screw? terrylee

Comment

Suzuki shop manual only shows screw/o-ring/spring on what they are calling the pilot screw. Just pulled mine out to take a look and it matches. Hope that helps.

Comment

I can tell you from my rebuild there's only the screw, O ring at the top of the screw under the head, and the spring. No washer, the 425's have a different screw etc.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks all of you so much. I thought the 400-425 might have different set up on idle mixture scew (pilot screw). I also think later years of 450s have screw, spring, washer, o-ring set up. Makes me feel better that I didn't loose anything and they' re ok. So I'm good with o-ring at top and spring! terrylee

Comment

Yep, definitely all good! Not sure on the later models, but the earlier 400's/425's spring doesn't fit our mixture screws either...
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks! good to know. terrylee

Comment

Working...
                        X