Let's play "Figure out why my bike is leaking oil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's play "Figure out why my bike is leaking oil"

Just starting noticing this recently. Not exactly sure where it's coming from. It seems to be coming from under the clutch/front sprocket cover, but that's not 100%. It's dripping down from that area, and the chain, kickstand, center stand, swing arm, frame in that area are all covered in oil spray. Are there common areas I should look for?

Take the sprocket cover off and look at the clutch pushrod seal as well as the countershaft sprocket seal. You'll want to clean it up real good and then take it for a drive. If that's where the leak is coming from then they both might need replacing.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Just starting noticing this recently. Not exactly sure where it's coming from. It seems to be coming from under the clutch/front sprocket cover, but that's not 100%. It's dripping down from that area, and the chain, kickstand, center stand, swing arm, frame in that area are all covered in oil spray. Are there common areas I should look for?
      On the shift lever shaft that extends through the cover, there is a round rubber oil seal the presses onto the shaft once the shift lever and cover is removed. The rubber seal presses into a recess in the side of the engine around the shift shaft. Pick/pull the old dry rubber seal out and press in a new one using a suitable deep well socket to evenly press it in. The seals are still available from any Suzuki dealer and cost about $2. You will probably have to order the seal though.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        On the shift lever shaft that extends through the cover, there is a round rubber oil seal the presses onto the shaft once the shift lever and cover is removed. The rubber seal presses into a recess in the side of the engine around the shift shaft. Pick/pull the old dry rubber seal out and press in a new one using a suitable deep well socket to evenly press it in. The seals are still available from any Suzuki dealer and cost about $2. You will probably have to order the seal though.

Earl

#20?

Comment

Yes. It can be a pain to get out (I broke a pick and a knife on it) but if you can get a screw into it then it should pull right out. The trick is to get the screw past that thin sheet of metal that is inside the seal. Before you start to push the new one in, coat it with a THIN layer of sealant.
          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Almost always forgotten is the o-ring on the starter.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Almost always forgotten is the o-ring on the starter.

#6?

Comment

If it's definitely from under the sprocket cover, then definitely won't be the starter O ring on a 450. Are you thinking of the bigger bikes Lynn? I have no experience with anything other than the 450...

My money's with Cowboy on the clutch pushrod oil seal, they seem to be a fairly common one.

You'll most likely need to degrease everything and clean it up well to discover the true source, and behind that sprocket cover can get awfully messy with the chain lube etc.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

should any oil come out of the hole that the clutch pushrod goes through? Because it's definitely dribbling out of that with the pushrod out.

Comment

Got the seal out relatively easily. Going to run down to cycle recycle when they open and hope they have it in stock

Comment

There will be oil on the rod but it should not be coming out.
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        There will be oil on the rod but it should not be coming out.
                        If the pushrod's out though it would be coming out wouldn't it? I'm thinking wet clutch, oil has a path from there straight through where the pushrod was and now out that seal...

With the pushrod in it should definitely not be coming out though...

sigpic

Comment

No #17
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What I meant was the pushrod will be wet from the oil inside. According to what I understand and saw, that pushrod will go through to the clutch basket side which does have oil in it. You just don't want any seeping through that seal and onto the ground. The seal acts like a wiper but I believe it will still be wet.

I'd tear my cover off to check but I'm trying to keep the bike running for one more week before leaving for Ohio.
                            sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Yeah I get ya, all good

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X