Where to buy rear shocks at a good price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy rear shocks at a good price

My GS450T shocks are shot. They bottom out no matter what setting I put them on. Does anyone know where to buy a good pair of shocks without having to refinance the house????
    Thanks
    Dibber

Originally posted by Dibber View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy a good pair of shocks without having to refinance the house????
    Stereo shocks, right? What's your price range?

MDIs are <$100 new, but are rather stiff. You definitely won't be bottoming out!

Progressive 12 and 14 series, Hagons, YSS Bravos - all around $200.

Things go up from there. There's also the used market.

Comment

Got some Hagon's from Denniskirk and some Redwings from Omar. Hagon $200, RedWing $99. I actuallyliked them both the same. Both are suposed to be rebuildable. Both work well on asphalt or dirt. the reason I got the Redwings after having perfectly good Hagons, I got 12.5" ones, The Redwings are 13.5 and I like the hind side jacked a little more than stock.

Comment

Personally, I've been looking at these for a little whlie. I just had to pay $550 for the deductible to get my car repaired though so I may have to wait a bit longer. $83.90 delivered.

Comment

Who, thanks for the replies. I also found some at wwwronniesmailorder.com. They are EMGO M5510 for $99.95. I haven't tried them yet and will be looking at some of the others mentioned by you great folks first before I buy.
          Thanks again,
          Dibber

Comment

Those are MDIs. The Emgos and MDIs are the same. Like I said, a bit stiff, though they do loosen up a bit after a few hundred miles. At first you'll think you were riding a hard-tail! Also, you probably want to NOT use the bushings that come with them. They're very soft and the hole will elongate pretty quickly. You can re-use your old stock bushings or get some generic HELP bushings from your local auto parts store. Some forum searches should show you the way.

If your stock springs still look good, I've heard of taking the stock springs and putting them on Progressive 12 series shocks. That should cut about $60 or so off the cost of progressives if you decide to go that route.

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
            Personally, I've been looking at these for a little whlie. I just had to pay $550 for the deductible to get my car repaired though so I may have to wait a bit longer. $83.90 delivered.
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

Comment

I've heard of people using these guys (Dutch company) as a cheaper alternative to the more well known brands Ohlins, Penske etc...
              Anyone ever use them?

I'm also looking to do something about the rear suspension on mine - the way the bike sits now just seems too low, so much so that it looks like it could actually get very close to the frame with a good bump.

I want to jack it up / give it more of a sportier stance. Any recommendations - those $75 ones on ebay do come at a good enough price.

I'll have to double check but what is on my bike now are some Showa 420 shocks that the PO had put on. I also have a set of old Harley shocks that may be taller haven't looked at suspension yet but eventually I'll want to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richsuz View Post
                the reason I got the Redwings after having perfectly good Hagons, I got 12.5" ones, The Redwings are 13.5 and I like the hind side jacked a little more than stock.
                I thought stock was 13.5"???

Can anyone confirm stock length please?

Comment

Sorry if I confused you. MY GS650GLD came with 12.5" shocks. Don't know what the 450E has as stock.

Comment

The 80-82 450E are 13" stock i believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X