450 Cam Chain Tensioner Bolt Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 Cam Chain Tensioner Bolt Broken

OK, so I decided today would be a good day to remove the cam chain tensioner and rebuild it and replace the gasket or whatnot.

I removed the two bolts with no real difficulty. I had to wiggle the tensioner for a moment to get it to spring free, but then it slid right out.

after I was going to put it back together I noticed it was not going into the hole all the way and it seemed like it was hitting resistance which I assumed was the chain.

I started both bolts by hand no issue and then as I was tightening them evenly back and forth to get the tensioner back in place the top bolt snapped off.

I removed the bottom bolt and the tensioner came right back out.
    The top bolt is snapped flush with the cylinder head. I dont think i'll be able to grab it with vice grips. Also not sure I will be able to get a drill in there to use an dextractor. If I have to take off the head, how hard is it, and what else needs to be done to do this?

That is a pain in the arse! I read here that extractors don't work that well and a left handed drill bit is a better option. When ever I've used them I break them. The tensioner bolts screw into the cylinders, not the head. I would approch this by investigating removing the air box, carbs and battery box before I tear down the head and cylinders. Do a search for removing studs/bolts as I'm not really the one who has the expertise in extracting bolts. I changed mine to allen head cap screws when I rebuilt mine as it is a bit easier to get at with an allen wrench socket on a 1/4" drive. Good luck.

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Can anyone tell me the right way to egt the airbox out of the frame? I've tried every way I can think of but it keeps hitting the engine

Comment

It should be in the manual.
        Hopefully its not a model that needs engine removal for access.

It likely is not.

Comment

I looked through the manual and all I saw was filter removal.
          From looking on the forums some more I see it is generally not a fun thing to do

Comment

Hey my sister lives south of Wilkes-Barre!

Small world, small world.
            Searching for removal pictorial.

Comment

Pull the carbs, slide it all the way to the engine and twist it through the side.

BTW...we're almost neighbors...I'm down in Pittsburgh. Wife keeps wanting to go see the Baby Pens.

As for pulling the snapped bolt...this is a weird idea but I'll put it out there...

JB Weld the rest of the screw to the snapped off part and see if you can get it to come out far enough so that you can grab it with the vise grips.
              1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
              The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Hmm do you take it out from the clutch side?
                P.S. I invited you to join the Pennsylvania GSer's group

Comment

JeepRusty, I didn't see your post there. It's amazing how the internet makes the world such a small place, even though it takes so long to ride around it.
                  If your sister rides a GS, let her know we have a new group on here and she can join. You too if you ride in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                    Hmm do you take it out from the clutch side?
                    P.S. I invited you to join the Pennsylvania GSer's group
                    Just joined the group...thanks for the invite!

The clutch side was how I ended up doing it. It is tight though...and there were some four letter words used in removing it.
                    1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I've been fiddling with it most of this time. still haven't managed to get it out. Going to take another whach at it in a few minutes

Comment

Today I was able to remove the airbox and drill into the shaft of the broken screw and then back it out with the screw extractor.
                        I took some pictures along the way, and I think I figured out how to remove the airbox from the 450 'easily'.

I was able to put the whole thing back together including getting the airbox in the frame in about 5 minutes.

I can't believe how long I spent trying to wiggle the airbox out every which way, only to find I could remove and put it back in in about 10 seconds once I removed the battery box, the starter motor cover, the cam chain tensioner, the carb, and intake boots and loosened the clutch cable.

I thought maybe this could be used for tutorial purposes. Any suggestions on how to share the video? I was thinking of uploading it to youtube once I cut the crap off the ends of the video.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                          I thought maybe this could be used for tutorial purposes. Any suggestions on how to share the video? I was thinking of uploading it to youtube once I cut the crap off the ends of the video.
                          Upload the video to Youtube and post the link in the thread. You can also email the administrater (Frank) and ask him if he wants to link it in the GS Garage page.
                          1981 GS 450L

Comment

Ok, here is the video. I think I'm going to make a new one whenever I can get someone to hold the camera for me. The photobucket account is more on topic than the youtube account

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X