Engine Is Beyond Fixing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Is Beyond Fixing...

I finally cracked the case today, and it looks like my pistons are completely ruined.

I am pretty choked, with both pistons completely gone, a ruined cam chain guide and rocker arm, this is beyond reasonable to attempt to fix.

What should I do? Sell the bike as a parts bike, or attempt to sell off pieces?

This was my first bike, I am just so upset over this.

what a bummer. but I wouldn't give up until some more people chime in. Maybe not as bad as it seems.
    Good luck!

Comment

I can't make out too much from the photos but I'm guessing the valves have kissed the pistons.

What bike is it by the way? Makes a difference to the economic choices.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That's crappy news indeed, especially after all the work you've put into her. Motor's aren't that expensive to buy if you can find one. There's lots of wreckers around Vancouver, definately worth a few phone calls or even an ad up in the classifieds. If you decide to sell her as is let me know I may be interested.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Is it just the cylinders? Get yourself a new set of jugs and keep rolling
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

It's a Canadian GS400 TSCC,sorry can't remember the year off the top of my head.The reason it's a good idea to put model info in a signature line.Finding a new motor shouldn't be that hard.

Comment

Mate you should keep an eye out for NOS parts and so forth, could be some parts sitting on a shelf somewhere with your name on it...

Listen to the other guys, all is not lost but it sure is a bummer! These babies are always fixable
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks guys, I love the optimism.

I will check out some classified adds and phone a few shops to see what they think. The pistons are seriously stamped by the valves though, I thought I might have been priced out by that fact, but I will look around.

How much would be reasonable for two NOS pistons heads?

Bike 1984 Suzuki Gs(x)400.

Comment

You could use the cylinder bores to shave with.
                  A euro source might get you the pistions.

There was one cool german site I found a while ago had four complete OEM gaskets sets for my bike.

The parts are hiding somewhere.

Do you have pictures of all the damage and have you tested the valve sealing with cams out and gas?

Comment

Looks like the valves and pistons met. I have a 77 gs400 and iirc the gs 750 pistons are the same bore size as the 400. Both engines are 65 mm bore size. Now I don't know if the compression height is the same on both pistons. ( The distance from the wrist pin centerline to the top of piston. ) It sounds like the engine can be rebuilt. Do a slow and careful tear down. Look for other damage. I would have the case magnafluxed. I see gs400 engine parts show up on ebay from time to time. Hope this helps.
                    Gearhead
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2011, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider
                      Hi scottmc.

You can look for part bikes or engines.

If you are patient you WILL find one or two.

I just checked Kijiji ( I am in Quebec ) and found this.

Loosely translated it says "1980 GS400 engine only, perfect shape".
                      I know it's far. But I just want to show they are available.

I could take a ride and go check that one out if you want to have it shipped.

DP
                      Wow, that is an incredibly generous offer!

How hard would it be for a mechanical newbie to mount a new engine like this?

If seems like a really cool option! I would love for this to work.

Comment

How hard would it be for a mechanical newbie to mount a new engine like this?
                        Phhhaa, piece of old tackie, 3 or 4 engine mount bolts, hook up the wires and pipes, and you good to go, seriously to drop that motor in is really a mornings work, no more.
                        Of course then you would have to do all the regular maintenance that you would do anyway, new oil and filter, new plugs etc etc..
                        But you really could do it without getting too much wrong, anyway, you have all the help you need right here, what more could you want.

Comment

Just a thought on your engine, in my experience, it is no where near beyond fixing, I would wager that new valves and a new cam chain will have you back in business, so I would not junk it.
                          I have yet to see a case where valves hit pistons and the pistons got destroyed, they are tough, yes they may be marked, but that is all, I would be more concerned about a bent rod, easy enough to check for, but like I said, it looks a lot worse than it is, but for $150 I would get the motor and then slowly, at your leisure rebuild yours again.
                          You can then either sell it at a good profit or slap it back into your bike and have a freshly built motor and sell off the one you bought again for what you paid for it, either way you win.

I bust a cam chain on one of my GS850's at about 7000rpm many years ago, I thought there would be nothing left of the motor, cost me valves, and a chain, and the bike was running two days later, not easy to kill a GS.

Comment

found this one a couple of hours away from you.

Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              found this one a couple of hours away from you.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/2584245082.html
                              now that's a deal. You will need carb parts someday anyhoo.
                              Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                              X