1980 GS450 Screw location guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS450 Screw location guide

I am working on making a visual guide to the locations of the screws in the engine of the 1980 GS450 for use in upgrading to the SS screws.
    Please note that there was apparently an engine change mid production around engine #162952 which at least changed the bolt pattern on the Cylinder head cover.
    Here is what I have located so far.
    Let me know if I am missing something, I probably am.

Not a bad idea actually...

As to the valve cover change, that happened part way through the '82 model year and went from 12 bolts to 15 bolts. You definitely need to verify which one you have as the bolts are in different locations, there's not just three extra bolts which means it's critical for buying the right gasket.

Also, just to clarify the SS bolts don't get used on any places that have a lot of pressure on them, so where you're showing the cam chain tensioner bolts, the front upside down bolt to join the head to the cylinders etc. shouldn't actually be substituted with SS bolts to the best of my knowledge as I believe those ones actually have a certain rating that's required.

Things like the sync adaptor holes should be fine though I would imagine because it's just to block the hole, not keep things together.

I also wouldn't swap the screws on the signal generator plate because the larger allen head SS ones may have some impact on the magnets on the rotor. I would think that would be incredibly unlikely, but I still wouldn't chance it.

However, despite my comments above, good idea and I think it will definitely be helpful
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
    X