X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in the breather cover?

I was in the process of degunking my engine covers when I noticed this

Notice all the hairline cracks?

Here is a picture after I removed the thing from the simple green and washed it clean

Just how freaked out should I be by this?

Doesn't look good, Id replace it. Luckily a new (used) breather cover can be had on ebay for around $15 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      Doesn't look good, Id replace it. Luckily a new (used) breather cover can be had on ebay for around $15 shipped.
      I saw they're pretty cheap, but what would cause that kind of cracking?
      it seems like a low pressure spot, but they seem like stress cracks.
      They don't even look like they are in a spot (mostly) that would be cause by over torque issues.

Comment

"They all do that, sir " I've got probably 5 or 6 of those covers here off twins and fours all of which have one corner broken off.
        Thick gasket and thin casting.....

Comment

Haha, so not an indicator of the whole engine being made of cracks?
          I was worried because some of the cracks really just seem to be in the middle of the thing. like it was hit with a hammer alot, but delicately...

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
            Haha, so not an indicator of the whole engine being made of cracks?
            I was worried because some of the cracks really just seem to be in the middle of the thing. like it was hit with a hammer alot, but delicately...
            I managed to crack one on my gsx250 by re-using an old gasket that was slighly worn on one corner. That was with a torque wrench too so they can be quite delicate.
            1979 GS750E

Comment

Working...
            X