First time adjusting valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time adjusting valves

Quick question, can i rotate the crankshaft without shims if I use the zip tie method?
    I want to remove the shims to trade them in to the shim club, but that would require me to have them all out at the same time.
    Also, my exhaust are both too tight to get a reading so I would like to move the intake shims over if they are smaller; haven't check yet... again I would have to have them both out at the same time.
    Oh, and my bike is a 450L, if that helps.
    thanks, willman

Originally posted by willman View Post
    Quick question, can i rotate the crankshaft without shims if I use the zip tie method?
    NO!!!

I want to remove the shims to trade them in to the shim club, but that would require me to have them all out at the same time.
    Check with the Club. I don't know for sure, as I don't use their services, but I think if you tell them what you think you need, they send them to you, then you send back what you don't need. Again, I don't know that for sure, so contact Ray (ghostgs1) to find out for sure.

Since you are playing with valves, please read the invite in my sig.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, that's what i thought, just some wishful thinking.
      I'll ask the shim club, but if they don't i guess i'm going to Z1.
      thanks, willman

Comment

You should update your profile with your location, maybe someone local to you can lend you a spare? you should also add your bike model to your signature so you don't have to introduce it in each topic you start (until you get a dozen like some guys on here).

Comment

OK, I updated my profile

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            NO!!!

Check with the Club. I don't know for sure, as I don't use their services, but I think if you tell them what you think you need, they send them to you, then you send back what you don't need. Again, I don't know that for sure, so contact Ray (ghostgs1) to find out for sure.

Since you are playing with valves, please read the invite in my sig.

Yes, Ray will send what you need on the condition you return those you don't. I did that with my bike the last time and will probably do it again when I adjust mine in the next couple of months.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wow, that's great! that will help out a lot.

Comment

I know I'm probably going to catch flak for this, but when I took my shims out, I removed 5 at once and threw $1 coins in the shim buckets. They're smaller than the shims, but just big enough to keep the cam lobe from wearing on the edge of the bucket when you turn the motor. The good thing is, they're (basically) free, so you can go spend them once you're done swapping your shims out.

Comment

Good old American ingenuity. The dollar isn't worth much anyway. Ray
                  "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                  GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                  1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                  1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                  1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Originally posted by Mattias44 View Post
                    I know I'm probably going to catch flak for this, but when I took my shims out, I removed 5 at once and threw $1 coins in the shim buckets. They're smaller than the shims, but just big enough to keep the cam lobe from wearing on the edge of the bucket when you turn the motor. The good thing is, they're (basically) free, so you can go spend them once you're done swapping your shims out.
                    Used to be the standard procedure in the dealers, though we must be a bit cheaper in the UK as I've been using the old 10 pence bits for years to do the same job. Unfortunately the new coins are too small and I now have to supplement with whatever foreign coins we get fobbed of with at Tesco.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

OK, one intake is .038mm and the other .051mm I can't get the .038mm gauge under the exhaust cams, but i can spin the buckets freely. So should I leave the .051mm go one size down on the other intake and 2 sizes on the exhaust?
                      thanks for the help
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Have you contacted Steve yet for his spreadsheet? Look him up (Steve is his name and his username) and EMAIL him for it. It will help you keep track of what you have and what you need.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yep, I got the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I can't view it on this computer and it may be a couple of weeks before i can

Comment

Yep, I got the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, I can't view it on this computer and it may be a couple of weeks before i can
                            Why can't you view it?

It's written in Excel 97.

If you don't have Excel on your computer, go to openoffice.org and get a FREE program that can open it for you.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a new computer and i haven't gotten around to finding my old install discs, when i find Microsoft office i should be able to see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X