Hall of Shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hall of Shame

ok I crunched 3rd gear on a time trial pass last weekend.
    Yeah pro cutting and 1-2-3 auto (no kill) shifting is hard on the parts of the outpput shaft. The clips seperating the gears take a beating too.. I got 2 years out of the 4th gear slider that engages 1st gear and 3rd. the shift fork pin sheared also, so there are teeth,dogs,and a shift fork pin in the pan.. The horrible noise and sliding to a stop on the track was un nerving to say the least. The rear locked up at 60 or 50 mph. I was all over the front brake too!! I have a license to prove I can handle a dangerous situation like this -- NO CRASH! I walked the bike like a wheel barrel off of the track when the safety official arrived. Everyone was happy to hear no oil on the surface

I'm amazed that there was such little damage inside.

I have a special place I put the failed parts, it is called my hall of shame. When you make 'em big and run 'em hard you'll get some of this... upon us all a little rain must fall - or whatever gets your mind off of how much it costs to rebuild it.. I need a loan for 6 million dollars and some alien technology

bottom
    this one sawed the cases/engine in half at 110 mph.

My Trans from this weekend

and another 2 valve that dropped out of the head

had to cut this one to remove it , boy the C chamber was toast, I scraped the whole head and started over.

Do you guys have a collection or a shrine to honor the ugly side of racing?
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Burt Munro had shelves of this stuff - called them "offerings to the god of speed" As good a description as any.

Comment

I bashed my boat motor (lower unit) on the rocks

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hall of shame

This is the big end of the GS1100e crank broken right off, blew the rotor and stator right out of the side cover, and a head and exhaust cam two pass' after the oil pump died.

Comment

None of these are "racing" related, but are part of my "Wall of Shame".

This was from my son's 850. Engine had been rurnning (barely) the day before, to check stator output.
          Next day, when cool, started checking valve clearances and inventorying the shims.
          Had already checked 5 shims for size, was rotating engine to check the sixth, when it stopped HARD (hand-cranked).
          Saw the tip of the broken stem through the spark plug hole.

This is the result of a valve lifter tool slipping out of place on my Kawasaki.
          Spent over an hour fishing with a magnet to get all the parts, and another hour putting them together before I felt it was safe to turn the engine again.

My son insists he was NOT 'racing' with his 650, while he had it at college.

This was from my turbo Corolla. Not exactly "racing", but it wasn't gentle driving, either.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have my wall of shame
            Maybe some day I'll have a hall
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

the big trucks break hard

Comment

Thirty five race meetings with 1230 cc, high compression and methanol proved to be too much for a 29 year old con rod. Looking back, it was always going to happen. Invested in carillos this time, means I can run more compression and bigger bore.

• Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Oh yeah I know about #1 con rod of the 2 valve type. I suggest a steel case girdle to prevent the flexing that makes this happen.

Looking good in here, every picture makes me flinch and say ouch. You aint tryin' unless you break a thing or two. right?

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                    Oh yeah I know about #1 con rod of the 2 valve type. I suggest a steel case girdle to prevent the flexing that makes this happen.
                    Who sells girdles for these engines? Did you make your own? Got a pic of one installed?

Daniel

Comment

nope I only heard of them from the 'ol timers.

Comment

Alittle WD40 might just work

Time for some JB Weld

I think this is how it goes on ........Right ???

Last edited by RacingJake; 10-08-2011, 11:08 AM.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
                          Alittle WD40 might just work

Is that a slope glider in the corner?

If the mustang is just collecting dust mail it my way

Comment

Yeap it's a Ninja, been flying it since 92, when I moved out to West Texas I put a 10cc engine on it to get it up nice and high due to no slopes out here.

As for the Bud Nosen P51 I built it when I was station in Germany back in the late 80's. It has a SuperTiger 3000 and I use a chicken stick to start it. With a one piece 102" wingspan I'm surprized it wasn't broken when PCS's from Zweibruecken AB to Myrtle Beach AFB then on to Dyess AFB.
                            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

had to look for a couple minutes how bout that input shaft bearing .. man how hard you guys run them things?

yep.. me too

Comment

Working...
                              X