feeler gauges for tappet valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeler gauges for tappet valve adjustment

I will be adjusting the valves on my 450 soon, and wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a set of metric feeler gauges.

I can't remember where I bought mine, but, they are the same style shown here. 45 degree bend and you can just buy the one that you need.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
      I can't remember where I bought mine, but, they are the same style shown here. 45 degree bend and you can just buy the one that you need.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...feeler_gauges/
      Z1 sells those...that's what I use.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

FWIW. When I was looking on Z1 I couldn't find the .03mm one.
        Also I would reccomend getting a full set because it's better to know the actual clearance rather than just 'it's within spec'
        Actually no one outside of Hong Kong seemed to have the .03mm
        I ended up getting the set on Ebay, but I found they had one at Auto Zone that went down to .04mm for cheap.
        I figure if .03mm is the minimum, then .04 is a good enough 'feel' to want to make an adjustment. I hear it's better to be on the .08mm end of the spec anyways.
        Remember that .015 inches =.04mm and that .020 inches = .05mm so you really will get a more accurate reading with metric feelers.

I would recommend looking into joining the GS Shim Club to get your new shims if you need them, there is a link to the topic in my signature.
        Also you should think about getting a copy of the Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet that our member Steve Has put together. It will make life easier in the long run.
        Don't forget the walk through that is on BassCliff's site. The Zip Tie addendum was really great. The whole process with the removal of the cover should only take like an hour.

Comment

I just used a standard set- goes from .0015"-.035" - has metric printed on on there too

seems like a better deal than buying individual ones just for valves. You can use 'em for lots of stuff. also I had no problem checking my valves with this straight-bladed set.
          Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM. Reason: didnt read the previous post- redundant info

Comment

Get any metric set you can find and afford
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Tappet adjusters or shims? (never done one of those little guys)

If they're tappet adjusters, buy just the one of the largest side of the scale. Adjust to that, leave it alone. No need for a range of em.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Tappet adjusters or shims? (never done one of those little guys)

If they're tappet adjusters, buy just the one of the largest side of the scale. Adjust to that, leave it alone. No need for a range of em.
                I don't get what you are talking about here.
                The OP asked about feeler gauges

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                  I don't get what you are talking about here.
                  The OP asked about feeler gauges
                  2v heads use shims, 4v heads use tappet adjusters. No shims.
                  If the head in his bike is a 4v head, with tappet adjusters, buy just the single feeler gauge that's the largest of his useable clearances (again, I've not worked on a 450, so I dunno what the clearances are supposed to be) and adjust the tappet adjusters to that clearance and then leave them alone.
                  Fiddling with those adjusters can lead to stripped nuts, or threads.
                  Screwing around trying to make them perfect can be bad news.

Everyone says the shims are a pain in the butt. I think the 4v heads are a bigger pain. Shims, you just pop the next size in..they only wear on direction. Tighter.
                  The adjusters can back off, or wear tight. PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    2v heads use shims, 4v heads use tappet adjusters. No shims.
                    Ahh, OK I gotcha.
                    The 450 is a twin with shims. Super easy.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                      FWIW. When I was looking on Z1 I couldn't find the .03mm one.
                      Also I would reccomend getting a full set because it's better to know the actual clearance rather than just 'it's within spec'
                      Actually no one outside of Hong Kong seemed to have the .03mm
                      Z1 has the .002", .003", .004", .005", .006" and .008"...that's all you need.
                      And the prebent, two ended ones, are way easier to use than a full set.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                        Z1 has the .002", .003", .004", .005", .006" and .008"...that's all you need.
                        In that set, only two or three of them are really useful.

Measured in INCHES, the clearance is supposed to be .001" TO .003", but you can go to .004" with no problems.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          In that set, only two or three of them are really useful.

Measured in INCHES, the clearance is supposed to be .001" TO .003", but you can go to .004" with no problems.

On the 16 valves it is .003"-.005"...

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                            On the 16 valves it is .003"-.005"...
                            Yes, but the OP asked about his 1980 GS450E, not something completely different. I'm sure the info you suggest is helpful to someone. But I somehow don't feel it will be in this instance. The 1980 GS 450 is spec-ed from .03mm to .08mm. That means the smallest one at Z1 will be the only one that can be used and will basically tell you only if it is wider than spec, which is the opposite way than they generally wear.

I wish people would either read the original post, or stop chiming in with unrelated info to confuse people who ask for something.

Comment

the GS400/425/450/500, at least in the US, were all 2 valve engines. The only 4 valve GS twins we got here were the GS250T and GS300L (AFAIK).

Comment

Working...
                              X