Turbo on gsx 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo on gsx 400?

Hey guys. Now you probably think I'm stupid or something, but making things that doesn't allready exist excites me, so here it goes.

Would it be possible without going very very far to put a turbo on a gsx 400 -83? I don't know much about turbos more than what my sences tell me so here comes a couple of extra questions.

A turbo needs oil to lubricate and from what I understand you normaly connect this flow from the oil plug, through the turbo and back into the top oil plug again. Would the oilpressure from the 400 engine be sufficient to provide the turbo with oil here or would I need to install an oil pump?

The oil would probably have to be cooled to with an oil cooler, so this adds to the previous question as well.

I'm guessing that the air pressure side of the turbo needs to sit in between the carb(s) and the intake so that the turbo increases the demand from the carb(s). Or can I put the air side of the turbo so that it puts pressure on the carb(s)? The carbs on the bike are the diaphragm type btw.

If the above answer is that it needs to sit in between, I guess I will have to convert to a single carb since there is no more any reason to have 2 of them?

I would head for a real small turbo of course due to the small engine, because of this I hope that it doesn't have to be water cooled, anybody think any different?

Reading about how sturdy these machines are, I'm guessing the engine would hold up for the turbo, does anybody think differently?

And for the final question, the bike have 27hp today, would a turbo actually increase this much at all, or is it just completely wasted money? :P

Odd- there was just a turbo discussion on the GSTwins forum (for the GS500). Read through this and follow the links:

Don't know how much of the info will be useful though.

Comment

Working...
    X