Cam Lobe postions for shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Lobe postions for shims?

Ah yea another noob questions, sorry....

So you'll be happy to know (possibly...) that while working on the tensioner assembly getting that back in order (gaskets) I removed the head gasket, breather cover, and check the timing position (which actually I figured out pretty quickly), and check the shims! A major mile stone to my mechanical learning accomplishment. (I was excited) But I do have some basic basic questions.

Using the "official Suzuki Tappet Depressor Tool" (not my favorite at this point) LOL

I have a problem where it keeps slipping and the Tappets and shim slam right up against the cam lobe. Probably not the best thing... I also seem to have the shims utterly wedged in the Tappet tool? I understand that you are suppose to wedge this tool just so that the larger lip is pushing the edge of the tappet down, and the thinner lip is suppose to allow for enough clearance to get the shims out, which should be removable with some stronger tweezers. The tool should hold in place with the tension of the valve springs and not slip!?

So I put the tool in and it just slips right on off the tappet. I have tried with the flank of the lobe pointing straight up (lobe parallel to valve) and also where its perpendicular to the valve like the pictures in the manual here on adjusting valves. Wedging this tool in there. There has got to be some secret here that I am not doing quite correctly.

I understand where the shims are (the round silver dollar looking thing) And that you can compress the tappets to remove the shims with this tool which will in theory allow you to remove the shims and inspect/replace them, but the magic is just not happening on this one here.

So... What is the secret here with this mysterious "Tappet" tool? LOL

My valves are to tight, (under .03mm Spec on B, C, and D, but A is right around .074mm) for the twin...

Plus every time your tool slips you get a nice splattering of oil on your face. I am about ready to throw in the towel. It seems so simple.. I hate to ask but I am about to give it up.

I think the zip-tie method is supposed to be much easier. I have only tried the zip-tie method once because my valves were all well within specs... so I did it on #4 just to see if it really worked. It was really simple. I don't know if zip-tie works on a 450.. but it is worth checking.

Best wishes..

Comment

I use a small screwdriver wedged in between the cam bearing and the tool to keep it from slipping off the tappet. Make sure the notch in the bucket is accessible so you can wedge a screwdriver in there and pry the old shim loose.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have that "special" tool, and, to be honest, it resides in a "special" spot in the tool box.

TwotimeGSr is close, the zip-tie method is not just "supposed" to be better, it IS better.

There are those that claim that the "special" tool actually works, but I have not yet met with one who can show me how 'easy' it is.

I continue to use the zip-tie method and show it to those whom I help in my travels.

Having that 'wonderful' tool slip off the edge of the bucket and allow it to slam against the cam is exactly how I managed to shatter a shim that was not yet fully installed. It took about an hour of fishing with a magnet and patient re-assembly before I was comfortable enough to turn the engine to continue my valve adjustment. With the zip-tie, that just won't happen.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mothra, Where are you located? If you are not too far away I can give you a hand. Like Ed says, using a screw driver to secure the tool works very well. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

The zip tie method is not without its hazards, but none of them involve shattered metal shims in your engine. I found the zip tie method to be entirely successful and have no desire to try the 'special' tool.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I've never even thought of buying the "tool"... I've only used the cable tie and it is ssooooooo easy it's not funny.

The only thing that can happen with the cable tie is if you haven't got it wedged in on top of the valve properly the valve won't stay open... big deal.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                I've never even thought of buying the "tool"... I've only used the cable tie and it is ssooooooo easy it's not funny.

The only thing that can happen with the cable tie is if you haven't got it wedged in on top of the valve properly the valve won't stay open... big deal.
                Not entirely true. It is -possible- for the tie to dislodge deposits if your valves are gunked up, which may not be the optimal thing for your engine. You also want to make sure you don't drop one in the cylinder. If you use big honkin' ones like I use, not much risk of that. If you use tape to keep the tie folded flat you want to make sure that doesn't come off and fall in the cylinder. Still, nothing to equal shattering a shim or gouging something with a slipped tool or screwdriver.
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Also, since no one mentioned this yet, the zip tie method definitely works on the 450.
                  I'm very glad I didn't bother with the tool. Yet another example of money saved throught this great site and the people on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    Not entirely true. It is -possible- for the tie to dislodge deposits if your valves are gunked up, which may not be the optimal thing for your engine. You also want to make sure you don't drop one in the cylinder. If you use big honkin' ones like I use, not much risk of that. If you use tape to keep the tie folded flat you want to make sure that doesn't come off and fall in the cylinder. Still, nothing to equal shattering a shim or gouging something with a slipped tool or screwdriver.
                    Very true Allie
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ok well it looks like the zip tie method is the way to go.

I made an absolutely stupid move yesterday...

So tensioner came back off due to leaking o-ring on the spring twisty knob area.

Took it off and apart, and tried to get the knob shaft and knob separated from main aluminum area. Utterly stuck together with gritty oil. Put some WD on there and gave it another try no go. So penetrating oil next. Waited an hour and tried again. No dice. So did that again, and this time I decided to try some gorilla torque.

Assembly slipped from the vice, Went onto the floor and a chunk of soft aluminum flew up. It was the area that bolted the assembly onto the engine. Dang, utterly destroyed the Assembly...

But the fun didn't stop there. So I decided OK we have done enough, but I need to clean up. Started putting things away and organizing parts, because its not my garage, its some one elses. I had the clutch in neutral and though, lets move the bike. Yep lets move the bike with no tensioner assembly, watched the cam chain slipped right on off. As the clutch shifted into neutral... Great, now I completely screwed up Timing. Hope that I didn't bend any valves. It didn't move very far before actually getting neutral, and yes I squeezed in the clutch. Still moved. Might have just move independently from the clutch, and just slipped with the movement of the bike.

Yea oops. Hope the valves are OK on there. Two steps back...

Comment

I picked up the Suzuki tool in the summer and have used it three separate times. I did not find it difficult to get the shims in and out, and in my admittedly limited experience, it has yet to slip out of position. I keep the handle end of it firmly down. It feels very unstable if the handle points up in the air even a little bit.

It works only on one side of the valve. IIRC, it works only on the inboard side of the valve.

Caveat...I would have tried the zip tie method as I can see an advantage to using a "soft" tool, but I got the tappet depressor rather cheap, and I don't actually understand what people are doing with the folded over zap-strap.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I use the cat tail method, the cat doesn't like it very much, but it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                            ..., and I don't actually understand what people are doing with the folded over zap-strap.
                            To pull a shim, rotate the engine so the cam is pushing the valve fully open. Insert the folded end of the zip-tie through the spark plug hole and under the edge of the valve, which will be visible. Rotate the crank one full turn, which will point the cam lobe away from the valve. Rotate the bucket so the notch is visible, pry up the shim and remove it for inspection/changing. Install the new shim, rotate the engine so the cam is lifting the valve away from the zip-tie, remove the zip-tie, move to the next valve.

It sounds like a lot, but it goes really quickly. And, if you keep track of your shim sizes in the spreadsheet that 'some guy' offers , you only have to do all of them once. Any time after that, you only need to do the one or two valves that need to be adjusted.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't understand the difficulty in using the shim tool.
                              The only cams that have given me ANY trouble were after-market ones.
                              (The casting is a little different)
                              Never a problem with factory cam shafts.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X