Potential buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential buy

Hello everyone @ GSResources! I would like to say, from what I've read, you guy's really know what your talking about!

On to the chase. I have a potential "project" to put it lightly. My mothers neighbor came across this GS400 (least, that's what a buddy of mine told me it was), and he said he'd sell it to me for $100 (basically what he thinks he could get it for scrap). Now, I wouldn't mind that, except my buddy, who definitely knows more about bikes than I do, said he would pass on it, simply because it hasn't been run in over 15 years (general estimation) and it looked like the head was taken off the motor body for something to be repaired, but never got started/finished. Buddy told me that all in all, repairing the engine would be more hassle than worth, and finding parts for it would be near impossible.

I have a couple days to get back to the neighbor before he heads to the scrap yard (I believe he mentioned he would go on Tuesday the 25th). Would this be worth it as a project? I don't have a ton of money to spend, and would only be able to buy a part almost once a month, maybe twice (married, 1 kid, 2 dog's... you get the jist). Any thoughts would be appreciated, would hate to see this go to waste.

Sorry about the bad pics, but it's currently in the back of a van, covered with other scraps, so it was hard to take pic's.

if it has a title it might be worth a try. i've gotten some great bikes for $100 or less.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

For sure it will take a lot of effort to get back to something presentable. If you are mechanically inclined and in no rush to get the thing back together I would say go for it. At $100 you could part it out on eBay and more than get you money back worst case. Be warned that you would stll have to put say another $1,000 into it for things like new shocks, wheels, gaskets, cables, all the parts Basscliff recommends and 100 other things that will turn up as you get into it.

If it was close to me I would go for it knowing what I know now from my 400 restoration.

Comment

Lots of OEM parts are still avaible.Check out the fiches here http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche_select.asp .

Comment

The bike is a $100 rust bucket. you'll be putting a bit of money into it to bring it up to standard. if it were me I'd pass.

my .02
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Buy it and part it out to make $$$ for your next bike. As long as there is a market for the parts.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

I would pass. Not worth the time or effort

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                I would pass. Not worth the time or effort

Ya, ya know what, I think you guy's are right... I'm gonna call a pass on this, especially considering they couldn't find the title either. Thanks for your input on it all, to bad y'all agree with the wife! Just gotta wait for the next one to come along.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-25-2011, 06:18 AM. Reason: didn't finish

Comment

Ah, don't sweat it too much, I know it is hard to think rationally and turn something down when you want it, but trust me, its the best $100 you didn't spend.
                  Another will come along that is right for you, of that you can be sure, just sit tight a while, it is becoming winter over there in your part of the world now, so keep your eyes open, now is buying time, bargins are to be had.

Comment

Just set that $100 aside and keep adding to it as you can.

If you put it back into circulation, it will be harder to come up with again.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X