Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh OH.... I think I lost a piston ring?

Hey guys...
    Unfortunately my little 400 did something horrible today. I was on a nice back road ride when I noticed my bike started to loose power. I pulled over and noticed the cylinder on the left side was puffing white smoke... I got back on the bike and rushed it home... When I got home I also noticed oil was coming out of the air box drain. I took the air box off inspected and realized that the oil was coming from the cam breather hose. I Installed a set of pods just to see what was going on and as soon as I gave it throttle it would gush out oil... I noticed that the compression in the crank case was abnormally high.
    I unfortunately foresee a rebuild, I haven't had a chance to do a compression test but I know it can't be good. the Plug was oily so I can only assume the worse...
    Worth rebuilding? get a new motor? Whats your insight?
    It's very sad for it's such an awesome little bike I hate to throw it away...
    Thanks guys
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Hey guys...
    Unfortunately my little 400 did something horrible today. I was on a nice back road ride when I noticed my bike started to loose power. I pulled over and noticed the cylinder on the left side was puffing white smoke... I got back on the bike and rushed it home... When I got home I also noticed oil was coming out of the air box drain. I took the air box off inspected and realized that the oil was coming from the cam breather hose. I Installed a set of pods just to see what was going on and as soon as I gave it throttle it would gush out oil... I noticed that the compression in the crank case was abnormally high.
    I unfortunately foresee a rebuild, I haven't had a chance to do a compression test but I know it can't be good. the Plug was oily so I can only assume the worse...
    Worth rebuilding? get a new motor? Whats your insight?
    It's very sad for it's such an awesome little bike I hate to throw it away...
    Thanks guys
    -Jedz
    I don't understand that if you lost a ring how that would increase oil flow from the breather. You might've burned a hole in the piston.
    What does your plug look like? That might yield a clue. White smoke, lets see, blue is oil, black is gas, white is ?
    I don't think I'd run it until you looked at it, look at that plug first, if that don't look good, check the compression. The other things it could be would be a blown valve seal, which I'm inclined to believe and may be the cheapest way out.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Are you sure your petcock isn't sucking fuel into the crankcase?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Are you sure your petcock isn't sucking fuel into the crankcase?
        Yes, this makes more sense than a "lost piston ring".
        Last edited by tom203; 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Oil on the spark plug. Now that I'm looking at it more its looking like a blown Head gasket? I plugged the cam breather and there is an exceptional amount of pressure building in the crank case. Can't be the petcock for it isn't a vacuum style petcock, just a simple on off reserve switch.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Oil on the spark plug. Now that I'm looking at it more its looking like a blown Head gasket? I plugged the cam breather and there is an exceptional amount of pressure building in the crank case. Can't be the petcock for it isn't a vacuum style petcock, just a simple on off reserve switch.
            Ok, simple petcock it is ! How about that leftside carb has stuck open float valve allowing excess fuel to flood cylinder, foul plug, and every compression stroke forces fuel pass rings into crankcase causing pressure buildup?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Double checked and the carb is definitely not the issue. I just serviced them 2 weeks ago and before installation I installed an inline fuel filter to prevent any debris from getting back into the carbs. Bike was running great until the smoke and lack of power. The carb is not overflowing fuel nor is my slide stuck. Replaced the plug and the new one has motor oil on it too now. Bike holds an idle just fine and runs ok, but it goes no where if you try to rev it out... Waiting for my buddy to give back my compression tester so I can better diagnose.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Get rid of that inline fuel filter...you don't need it as the petcock does the same thing.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

??? Ive run fuel filters in all my bikes. After a season (15-20k miles) you see how much crap that thing actually filters out and saves your carbs from that extra cleaning... I've run fuel filters in all my bikes and ATVs and they have never been a source of an issue. My Bandit has nearly 50k miles on it and have always ran a fuel filter, runs great always starts, carbs are always clean, never runs lean...

Just baffled by that statement...
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

The petcocks feed gas to the carbs through a gravity system that yes, is controlled by the vacuum. However, fuel doesn't flow fast enough to warrant the fuel filters most people try to put on. You'll find many threads on here that discuss this issue and recommend you do away with them; once people do they don't tend to have problems again. If you do use one, get one designed for a lawn tractor or something like that.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

check your oil level
                      Originally posted by tkent02
                      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                      John 3:16

Comment

Oil level is Right on.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Updater...
                          Just went out to the garage to move out the bikes and quad for we are moving up north and I was curious if the 400 would start and come out of the garage on her own steam.. First kick she jumped right over and idled just fine like it usually did. I ran it for about a half hour and nothing seemed to be wrong. She pulled hard to redline and ran happy. I pulled it back into the house and let it idle as I moved out the B-12 and the quadrunner. After moving them back out I came back to it and it started to do what it did before. Blue-ish White smoke on the left side wouldent rev properly, etc. The bike runs great cold but after a warm up she then starts to eat oil and blow exhuast into the crank case . This looks like a head gasket to me. After the move I plan on pulling the motor and having the head rebuilt and worked. Head gasket will be replaced at that time but I didn't know if it gave anyone else any new ideas.
                          Thanks
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

It seems to me that a mechanical problem like blown headgasket, etc. would show up at startup- yet, you say bike ran well -up to redline- for half hour, but then fell back to the dark side. Did this problem start when you "serviced the carbs" a few weeks back, or was it happenning before? You say it's "eating oil" -are you actually putting oil in ? Gas that finds it way to crankcase would cause pressure build up forcing oil everywhere- I'd drain some oil soon after one of these episodes and give it a good smell.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Tom
                              I ran it again today and shut it down before it had a chance to become problematic again. I noticed that the oil level was higher than when i checked a week prior. So i took off the oil filler cap and smelled... The whole crank case is contaminated with GAS!!! What the!?!?! Thanks for advising I've never even though of that! The problem never happened prior the carb service and what baffles me is that It ran fine for a few weeks before this issue arose... I'm greatly concerned now! So I'm guessing this is a carb issue... to much fuel flowing into the bike? Any idea on how i could cure this issue? ugh.
                              Thanks!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X