GS 1000 track day bike .... ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 track day bike .... ??

I have kept a close eye out for a GS1000 the last few months, and prices are not as affordable as it seems. I got my 550 running well .. and just really enjoy it. The 1000 was/is the goal, but for track use.

This is a project, but with track use in mind, so I put this in the racing forum.

I want a reality check .. some harsh opinions from been there/done that guys in here.

Initially, I was going to find a 1000, and strip it for resto, and build back up using modern suspension .. i.e. ohlins shocks, with original swingarm and added bracing, and modern adjustable forks, add some modern wheels with newer calipers, disks, rubber, and a solid, original engine. Would be a great ride ... of course rules in vintage class dictate final outcomes, so that would be taken into account. I have been searching relentlessly for options for forks and wheels ...

So ... to start. I found a nice big jug dinosour locally .. for 2000 grand. Nope. Found another for 800 bucks ... trash. Ive looked around alot .. and seems there is a rekindled interest in the ole GS1000.

So I came up with another angle .... I may buy a frame off Ebay, then a swingarm, then the forks I want, shocks I want, etc, etc, until I get what I want how I want it. Messaging each part to my taste. Im not talking custom all out machine here, but a rebuilt 1000 with a purpose. And I wouldnt tear up a nice example.

My primary concerns are engine choices ... do I buy used and rebuild, or have rebuilt?? Or are there guys in here, or somewhere who build the old GS motors for track use??

Forks ?? Heard so many will fit .. Wheels?? Modern rubber for many reasons ...

I will say it again ....

I want a reality check .. some harsh opinions from been there/done that guys in here.

Jason

I have a modified rear swing arm and cut/modified seat pan from a '79 1000S that was raced back in the day if that helps.
    Your location?

Daniel

Comment

Probably best IMO to start with a rough but running example.
      Given that you'll be pulling it down to the crank and discarding a lot of the cosmetics something that can be heard running before buying would be desirable.

Circumstances can change this though...stories of ebay bargains are coming up all the time, a customer of mine is finding Z1 stuff at bargain prices at the moment so is buying like there's no tomorrow. The way our (kiwi) dollar is bouncing, tomorrow everything may be too expensive.

Comment

Obviously track days and racing are two very different things.
        Find out in detail what your local Vintage rules allow.
        In my eyes, the more complete and better running the better. Anything you remove for a racing upgrade could be sold to PARTIALLY defray costs.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Track bike…or vintage racer?

If you're just building a street and sometimes track day bike, you have no need to follow the strict rules for vintage class race bikes.

Committing yourself to racing a full season is quite consuming of your time and money. The decision for that kind of commitment comes after some experience from track day riding.

Bill
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I will keep looking for a complete .. but the parts idea may come to fruition eventually. Depends on what I find.

No serious racing on this one, dont have time or money for a season of racing competitively.

Comment

Working...
            X