Head Bolts Re-Torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Bolts Re-Torque

I looked through the manual and didn't see any mention of checking the torque spec on the head bolts as part of maintenance. Should this be done? I noticed some oil near the front most head bolts on either side and I'm trying to rule things out.

Suzuki GS425

It couldn't hurt.
    I check when I adjust the valves.

Daniel

Comment

Are you talking about the head bolts, or valve cover bolts. If it is the latter, be very careful they don't require much torque. If oil is leaking out below the valve cover. You probably need a new gasket.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

I retorque the head bolts at valve adjustment intervals. It needed to be done the first time and it can avoid a head gasket leak. Very easy to do.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
          I retorque the head bolts at valve adjustment intervals. It needed to be done the first time and it can avoid a head gasket leak. Very easy to do.
          Exactly. Easier with the cover off.

Daniel

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm referring to the base gasket, not the head gasket, weeping oil.

Comment

Same bolts. Rarely is it possible for a re-torque to stop an active leak.

I learned the hard way that OEM base gaskets are the way to go. Used an Athena gasket the first time but they're too soft and lose clamping force quickly.

Originally posted by viper711 View Post
              Thanks for the replies. I'm referring to the base gasket, not the head gasket, weeping oil.

Comment

Working...
              X