Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is my problem

Ok I have a problem.

I am planning on running a 1983 GS750ES in vintage racing, however the period class that I want to run is 1982 and prior, if I dont dispute this I`m going to have to run in period 4 which is from 1983 to 1989 which includes GSXR750s FZR750s OW01s and a sloo of other things that will kill me.

The tech inspector sent me this.

``Hi Justin
    The 750 is an 83, and the cutoff for P3 is 1982. As of now you can't race it in P3. In order to propose a rulechange allowing it into P3, you'll have to provide solid technical reasons for a change
    . ``

So thats what I am here for, help putting together a technical list for me to be able to race the 1983 GS750ES in a class with other GS750s and CB750s.

HELP!

Originally posted by Marshall498 View Post
    which includes GSXR750s FZR750s OW01s and a sloo of other things that will kill me.
    Just like your bike would do to those earlier GS 750s and CB750s.
    Why would they want to give you that unfair advantage?
    Why should they? It sounds like your problem is that you bought the wrong bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Just like your bike would do to those earlier GS 750s and CB750s.
      Why would they want to give you that unfair advantage?
      Why should they? It sounds like your problem is that you bought the wrong bike.

How?

Whats the difference between an 82E vs 83ES? Apart from the suspention

Comment

About 50lbs and 10HP,16" wheel,2or3"wheelbase and the mono shock.The 83 was a leap forward in design compared to the 80-82 750.Your problem is that thing moved fast in the early 80's.By85 the GS750 was old tec with the GSXR out tecing it.Tkent's right you got the wrong bike.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall498 View Post
          How?

Whats the difference between an 82E vs 83ES? Apart from the suspention
          The entire machine was redesigned. Engine, handling, wheels, tires, and especially the brakes are much better on the '83 compared to the '82. The '83 was a smaller, less comfortable, but much faster, better handling motorcycle. If you have owned or ridden them both there is no comparison.
          It was a huge step toward the GXSR.

Comment

Oh well, I guess I cant do anything about it then.

Thanks for the help.

Now I guess ill let my riding do the talking and hopefully get up into the mix as an under powered worse handling machine

Comment

If you were serious you would do a little research, find out which bike within the rules would be the best for you, get one of those. Maybe after a lot of effort you could even be competitive.

Comment

Do you think you'll be competitive on the right bike? If not what's the harm in running against the Gixxers etc. Just think of the kudos if you beat one or two of them. You don't have to come first to be a winner.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hey. curious about the vintage racing. Is is solo time trials or group on-track racing? If you have to be in the '83 class you can still have fun. I'd look at it this way. If you're on the 'oldest' bike probably have low expectations (kind of like we did with the switch to Tebow). Then if you beat anyone even better for you!

Comment

I saw your build thread. If you picked the bike up for 100 bucks, and it has title issues or whatever, screw it, go racing anyways. Look up your class rules carefully, and strip out all the un-needed weight you can. Get a period pipe and pods, give it the full on race treatment. It's already been bored out you've already got some extra oomph in the motor.

So what of the other bikes. Go out there and race for yourself. Have some fun and be safe. If you truely are a good rider than it wont make so much of a difference that your not on a gsxr or similiar.

But I don't think you'll have much luck trying to race the pre '82 class with a bike built in '83. Close, but no luck.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
                      I saw your build thread. If you picked the bike up for 100 bucks, and it has title issues or whatever, screw it, go racing anyways. Look up your class rules carefully, and strip out all the un-needed weight you can. Get a period pipe and pods, give it the full on race treatment. It's already been bored out you've already got some extra oomph in the motor.

So what of the other bikes. Go out there and race for yourself. Have some fun and be safe. If you truely are a good rider than it wont make so much of a difference that your not on a gsxr or similiar.

But I don't think you'll have much luck trying to race the pre '82 class with a bike built in '83. Close, but no luck.
                      Yeah thats basically what I came to in the end. Hell I now have a race bike for less than 1000$ with lots of go fast bits. If later down the road I want something faster ill sell the GS for something like 1200$ with lots of extras, and buy something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X