Lockwiring questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lockwiring questions??

I know how to lock wire a drain plug and filler cap and such on my GSX750ES, but the one thing that is confusing me is how to lockwire the oil filter....any tips?

Pull the studs out, tap the holes and use bolts.

Comment

You can also just drill through one corner of each nut. I used to do them that way before screw on filters. The screw on filters you can just put a large hose clamp around & run the wire from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall498 View Post
        I know how to lock wire a drain plug and filler cap and such on my GSX750ES, but the one thing that is confusing me is how to lockwire the oil filter....any tips?
        Like rapidray says,..."put a hose clamp around the filter", and drill a small hole in somthing stationary, and use .032 wire run it from the hose clamp twist the wire, thred it through the small hole, and pig tail the end....Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki,Mike View Post
          Like rapidray says,..."put a hose clamp around the filter", and drill a small hole in somthing stationary, and use .032 wire run it from the hose clamp twist the wire, thred it through the small hole, and pig tail the end....Mike
          The GS750e does not have a screw on filter. It's filter is internal under an engine cover that is attached with acorn nuts. Hence the difficulty in lockwiring.

Comment

Drill through 1 corner of each nut like I stated in the first line of my reply. Ray

Comment

or you could use something like this?
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

buy a bunch of drill bits - they break easily

remove the studs -- drill some 6X1 bolts thru the heads and replace - then wire them in a constant single loop with 1 long piece of wire.

that tool in the previous post makes things go quickly and is so easy to use.. there is a instruction page that is included with the tool --when I bought mine it had one that pictured how to do multiple bolts in series

depending on the tech guy you may have to drill your cases and secure the loop to the engine case instead of simply tying all the bolts together.

don't try to wire each bolt/nut singularly to multiple stationary points. hook them together so the tension pulls each bolt in a clockwise direction.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I forgot how many perfectionists there are on here

before I get corrected === if they are 5mm X 0.8 get that size of bolt
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Forget safety wiring, just replace the studs with longer stainless ones and replace the acorn nuts with nyloc nuts. If you remove the nuts to change the filter always fit new nuts as a new thread is cut into the nylon insert each time. If you reuse the nyloc nut a number of times it could loosen as the thread in the nylon insert wears. Just buy a packet of 6x1.0 nyloc nuts and the problem is solved.

Comment

Sorry Don, but because of the heat in that area most organizations won't accept just nylocs & still require lock wiring. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                        Sorry Don, but because of the heat in that area most organizations won't accept just nylocs & still require lock wiring. Ray.
                        Fair call Ray, I have used the system I outlined on my road bike and it works fine and I know the nyloc nuts wont loosen and cause a problem like the acorn nuts possibly could. Just an added bit of security on long road trips for me. But I totally understand your point though for a racing motor and all the regulations that surround that type of activity.

Comment

Working...
                        X