Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket

I think I know the answer to this question, but figured I would ask. Is it safe to assume that when I check the valves that I will need a new valve cover gasket? Do you recommend the OEM one from a place like Bike Bandit?

As far as the shims, is the shim club the best way to go? I have seen posts about it. What is the process? Do I check the clearance and figure out what I need and them send off the ones I don't need to exchange for the ones I do? What is the turn around time?

Ray is pretty quick with the shims, let him know what you need. Gasket, I try to re use them, unless they fall apart when the cover comes off. If it's the original gasket, it will need replaced. If it's from the last several years you may get away with it.... The OEM gasket is the way to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You've got the process pretty much nailed down.

When I did mine I sent Ray the info for the three shims I needed, and held onto the ones coming out because I figured I'd need them again down the road. In my case I just paid a few bucks for the shims...Ray was pretty accommodating.

Even with coming across the border, I don't think it took more than a week for the shims to arrive. They are small and light enough that 3-4 shims fit in a regular envelope.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

If it's the original gasket you'll be lucky if you can remove it in less than a million peices.
        So yes, a new gasket. OEM if ya dont wanna do it again tomorrow or the next day.
        The shim club is best unless you just wanna compile a collection of shims. Which is always a good idea.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Ray is pretty quick with the shims, let him know what you need. Gasket, I try to re use them, unless they fall apart when the cover comes off. If it's the original gasket, it will need replaced. If it's from the last several years you may get away with it.... The OEM gasket is the way to go.
          Ok, maybe I will be adventurous and look at the valves this weekend since I already have the tank off for the carb rebuild. I can see if the gasket needs to be replaced at that point. Is there any danger if the cover is left off for an extended period of time, say a couple weeks?

Comment

throw a rag over it

Comment

You don't need OEM for the valve cover gasket - there's nothing special about it. And just pop the cover back on to cover things up while you're waiting.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Look in the "GS Parts and Services" section. Or just click the link.

GS Valve Shim Club

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the valve cover was a hassle to wiggle out when removing, then just throw a lint free rag over the area to cover for now, especially if it's not in a garage.
                  I have used OEM and aftermarket valve covers on various GS 4 cyl bikes and only had 1 leak a little after(the aftermarket one). But you have a 2 cyl and less bolts to tighten down. Check your local dealer for an OEM, as sometimes the online store with shipping is slightly higher price wise and takes longer to arrive. I'm guessing you'll need a new gasket as the old gasket will be stuck on after a few thousands miles and probably come off in pieces. If your local dealer has one in stock, then just run over and buy it when doing the work without losing more riding time and waiting for a shipment....I see it's down anyway with carb work....and try to keep one shim as a spare for when doing the shim shuffle and you need a placeholder!
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

My spreadsheet works on the twins, too, as long as they use shims for adjustment.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                      If the valve cover was a hassle to wiggle out when removing, then just throw a lint free rag over the area to cover for now, especially if it's not in a garage.
                      I have used OEM and aftermarket valve covers on various GS 4 cyl bikes and only had 1 leak a little after(the aftermarket one). But you have a 2 cyl and less bolts to tighten down. Check your local dealer for an OEM, as sometimes the online store with shipping is slightly higher price wise and takes longer to arrive. I'm guessing you'll need a new gasket as the old gasket will be stuck on after a few thousands miles and probably come off in pieces. If your local dealer has one in stock, then just run over and buy it when doing the work without losing more riding time and waiting for a shipment....I see it's down anyway with carb work....and try to keep one shim as a spare for when doing the shim shuffle and you need a placeholder!

I am going to dig into it tomorrow. Unfortunately the local Suzuki dealer doesn't seem to stock much of anything for this bike. I am still waiting for a tach cable that was a special order done about 2 weeks ago. If the gasket isn't reusesable then I will just order one online and wait I guess. The bike is in the garage so its not really exposed to anything other than it being a bit cold.

Anyhow, the carbs are going back in tomorrow. Hopefully they function better or at least the same as when I took them out. The rebuild seemed pretty straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                        I am going to dig into it tomorrow. Unfortunately the local Suzuki dealer doesn't seem to stock much of anything for this bike.
                        Well, alpha-sports in rustic Limington stocks lots of old parts for Suzukis- yes, some of their prices are unreal, but I got a few gaskets (in person) for fair prices. Their web site is real handy for decipering part numbers . I sent you a PM regarding cover gaskets from an ebay seller in PA- more than you need, but worth considering.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                          Unfortunately the local Suzuki dealer doesn't seem to stock much of anything for this bike.
                          Unfortunately, you will find that to be VERY common.

Did you bookmark BassCliff's site? There is a nice list of vendors there that are all willing to do the parts ordering for you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X