Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connecting my battery engages the starter

On my '80 GS450E"

My E was running fine when parked for a few weeks.

The battery was low, but when I jump it, as soon as it gets power, the starter engages! I switched the solenoid from my L to see if that was the problem, but same issue.
    Even if the key is out, killswitch in OFF position, and clutch is not engaged, power to the battery will immediately engage the starter. Without the yellow/green wire from the solenoid disconnected (goes to killswitch?) still the same thing. Power engages starter.

Help, please!
    Thanks for any suggestions,

-ridwan-

ps. sorry no digits since I don't have a multimeter.

First off What kind of L is it?850, 750, 450, 1100???Is it the starter relay or the starter disconnect switch you tried from your L? Need to be more specific.
    I'm looking at my wiring Diagram right now and it looks to be a Starter Disconnect switch that connects to your starter button and your starter relay.
    This is how is the best I can illustrate it.

{Stater button}--------(Green/Yellow wire)--------{Starter Disconnect Switch}-------(green/yellow wire)-----{Starter Relay}------Ground

Starter relay has:
    -A ground
    -Black wire to the Starter
    -Red wire to the Battery
    -Green/Yellow Wire to the Starter disconnect Switch

I'll try to get a scan picture of the diagram posted for you...
    It sounds like a faulty Starter Relay
    Have you just tried replacing the battery with no jump?
    Last edited by Jedz123; 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Just to clarify, your relay has 2 posts with large gauge wires connected to it. Those go to the battery and the starter. it also has one 18 gauge plug in wire. This is the one that eventually goes to the starter button. Disconnect it. If the starter engages then your relay is faulty. If it does not, plug it back in and engage the kill switch on the handlebar and try again.

Comment

OH Redline I forgot... Welcome to the GSR forum!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yes, this. Sounds like a faulty solenoid.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Just to clarify, your relay has 2 posts with large gauge wires connected to it. Those go to the battery and the starter. it also has one 18 gauge plug in wire. This is the one that eventually goes to the starter button. Disconnect it. If the starter engages then your relay is faulty. If it does not, plug it back in and engage the kill switch on the handlebar and try again.

Comment

Go to your local hardware store, you can get a Solenoid in the lawn mower dept.. $15

Comment

Originally posted by redline_r View Post
              On my '80 GS450E"

My E was running fine when parked for a few weeks.

The battery was low, but when I jump it, as soon as it gets power, the starter engages! I switched the solenoid from my L to see if that was the problem, but same issue.
              Even if the key is out, killswitch in OFF position, and clutch is not engaged, power to the battery will immediately engage the starter. Without the yellow/green wire from the solenoid disconnected (goes to killswitch?) still the same thing. Power engages starter.

Help, please!
              Thanks for any suggestions,

-ridwan-

ps. sorry no digits since I don't have a multimeter.
              These are the confusing parts:
              Did you mean to say WITH the yellow/green wire disconnected the same thing?
              Did you also say that you took the solenoid from your L machine and it did the same thing?
              I am asking because the L solenoid should work if the E solenoid is faulty. Otherwise more investigation is required before you start replacing parts.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. redline_r,

Yep, it kind of sounds like a bad starter solenoid. Test as advised, replace if necessary.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thank you for the welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've actually had the two GS's for a minute here, but we were out of country for 2 of those years, and they ran without any issues for the year before! So here I am...

To clarify some of the things:

1. The L is also a 450-- it's from 84 (vs. the GS450E from '80 which is having this issue)
                  2. If it were a starter solenoid relay (same thing, yes?) problem-- then why would the same problem continue after using the solenoid from the fully functional 450L? --Even with the solenoids switched, the starter on the E engages the moment it gets power.
                  3. There's a smaller guage green/yellow wire--is this the 18 guage?-- it seems like it's the lead that will go to the killswitch-- with that disconnected, I still have starter engagement as soon as there is power.
                  4. a. With the killswitch on either ON or OFF, the same thing happens.
                  4. b. With the clutch IN or OUT, same thing happens.
                  --as soon as it has power, the starter starts to turn. Predictably, this does not happen when the thick wire going to the starter is disconnected.

Glad to be here, thank you for all the help and suggestions already.
                  -r-

Comment

This.

Yes, that's the wire that should connect to the lead which comes from the kill switch. The solenoid should not engage unless there's +12V (roughly) being fed to this wire. Check for continuity across the big terminals with that wire disconnected. If there's continuity there, then the solenoid appears to indeed be bad. Either that or something is wired horribly wrong or shorting.

3. There's a smaller guage green/yellow wire--is this the 18 guage?-- it seems like it's the lead that will go to the killswitch-- with that disconnected, I still have starter engagement as soon as there is power.

Comment

Hi and welcome. I am going to show my own airheadedness here but maybe it will help. I had the same thing happen yesterday when I put my battery back in to do some work. I had wired the red battery cable and the yellow starter lead to the same post! Maybe check that there isnt a connection/short between the two posts on the solenoid? The upper outer post is for the starter cable and the lower inner post is for the battery cable.

Comment

Got it wired correctly?
                        Show us a pic.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I went back over the connections to the solenoid--
                          I realized the one big wire to the starter was kind of "reaching" to get to the opposite solenoid terminal, so I switched that with where there battery + was going, and made sure to put on the rubber boots just to make sure there was no touching.
                          This solved the problem! (so the battery and starter wires are each going to the point on the solenoid easily reached!)

BUT-- I have now come back to the problem I had before this whole "starter on" issue was happening-- to turning over!
                          When I push my bike around, it feels like the clutch is not disengaging fully-- so it travels much easier in N than in 1with the clutch pulled. I am thinking this is what's making it not start.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Got it wired correctly?
                          Show us a pic.

Comment

I went back over the connections to the solenoid--
                            I realized the one big wire to the starter was kind of "reaching" to get to the opposite solenoid terminal, so I switched that with where there battery + was going, and made sure to put on the rubber boots just to make sure there was no touching.
                            This solved the problem! (so the battery and starter wires are each going to the point on the solenoid easily reached!)

BUT-- I have now come back to the problem I had before this whole "starter on" issue was happening-- to turning over!
                            When I push my bike around, it feels like the clutch is not disengaging fully-- so it travels much easier in N than in 1with the clutch pulled. I am thinking this is what's making it not start.
                            I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. My GS550 has always done it, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
                              I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's normal. My GS550 has always done it, at least.
                              Than something isn't adjusted correctly.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X