Just picked up a 77 GS400X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up a 77 GS400X

I'm new to the forum and I just picked up a decent GS400X for cheap and I wanted to update the appearance and the performance. Just looking for some advice and some opinions from fellow GS owners.

What handle bars do you recommend? Clipons or Clubman bars
    Dented in tank for knee's or stock?
    Cafe Style Seat Options?
    CDI?
    Front end swap?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Look through the Projects and Rebuild section for ideas.
    There are several on-going 2 cylinder builds of various types.
    Post your location and pictures of your bike also.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by ianarm77 View Post
      I'm new to the forum and I just picked up a decent GS400X for cheap and I wanted to update the appearance and the performance. Just looking for some advice and some opinions from fellow GS owners.

What handle bars do you recommend? Clipons or Clubman bars
      Dented in tank for knee's or stock?
      Cafe Style Seat Options?
      CDI?
      Front end swap?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
      The most important part of your question was ommitted; for which purpose will the bike be used?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds like you have a Cafe project in mind. As already said! There are several ongoing 400/450 projects here for inspiration here. I would suggest you do things like getting it running right before you do any cosmetic work. Check compression, adjust valves and timing.......etc.

Mark

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Always happy to see another twin popping up in here

Solid advice so far, get her running right then do the cafe thing.

When you do get to the cafe bit, there should be some more modern GSXR front ends that will bolt up, but you'll probably want to do something with the swingarm as well otherwise you'll most likely end up with a front tyre wider than your rear tyre...

Clubmans are rumoured to be a little more comfy than clip-ons but I can't really comment on that as I have a dodgy wrist so have gone with MX 'bars on mine.

The 80 - 82 GS450E/S tanks make nice cafe tanks and already have suitable knee dents from the factory.

Dynatek make the DS3-3C electronic ignition for these that replace the points and stock coils. Definitely a nice ignition upgrade that one! I run one on my '82 450E and it's great!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
            I agree, goal one is to get the little guy road ready in it's stock form than go from there. The 400X is a cool little bike just make sure everything is in good running order before you start fancying her up. check valves, make sure cabs and intake tracts are in good shape, brakes and tires are in good working order, ETC..
            I plan on doing a fork upgrade myself with disc brake in the front... That front drum is sketchy.
            Any way good luck!
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! I'm located Just North of Denver, Colorado and I'll post some picture when I get a chance. I have already done the basics, new points, new plugs, oil change, carb clean/rebuild, tank and petcock rebuild. I've been pretty impressed with the overall build quality on this old Suzuki. This is my first Suzuki and I'm normally a Honda guy.

Comment

Working...
              X