I dropped a washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dropped a washer

I dropped a washer into the starter area. Do I need to get it out?

yes you do !!!

Comment

How do I remove the starter?

Comment

That is in the service manual. But have you tried fishing it out with a small wire or a magnet?

Comment

+1 with Big Rich, use a metal pickup tool first or even a small pick to fish around in there.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
            How do I remove the starter?
            Assuming that this is on the 450 in your signature, you have to remove the starter cover, but you will probably need to remove the carbs first. Once you have the cover off, there are two bolts that hold the starter in place. Remove them, lift that end of the starter, slide it toward the center of the engine.

What washer did you drop? Like others have suggested, it might be much easier and quicker to fish it out with a wire or a magnet, rather than removing the starter.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Assuming that this is on the 450 in your signature, you have to remove the starter cover, but you will probably need to remove the carbs first. Once you have the cover off, there are two bolts that hold the starter in place. Remove them, lift that end of the starter, slide it toward the center of the engine.

What washer did you drop? Like others have suggested, it might be much easier and quicker to fish it out with a wire or a magnet, rather than removing the starter.

Close Steve, but even worse (IMO anyway).

Carbs can stay, but the cam chain tensioner needs to come out to get the starter motor out.

Definitely do the fishing first...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Close Steve, but even worse (IMO anyway).

Carbs can stay, but the cam chain tensioner needs to come out to get the starter motor out.

Definitely do the fishing first...
                Forgot about that little detail, but it would be rather apparent, rather soon.

Don't have to remove either one to do the starter on the 850, 1000 or 1100 shafties.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Why in hell would a starter need removal?
                  Are you know it all peeps gone over to total insanity?
                  Is it purt neer baby jeebus feeverh?

A washer in a starter well will do bugger all it is a wee bit of metal.
                  Check the Positive side and realize that it is high up and in no danger of a dropped washer or bit grounding the circuit.

No wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over-react.

Comment

This is funny...

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                      Why in hell would a starter need removal?
                      Are you know it all peeps gone over to total insanity?
                      Is it purt neer baby jeebus feeverh?

A washer in a starter well will do bugger all it is a wee bit of metal.
                      Check the Positive side and realize that it is high up and in no danger of a dropped washer or bit grounding the circuit.

No wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over-react.
                      Yeah...i agree with JeepRusty. I cannot believe those words just came out of my mouth, but I don't see the problem. It's not going anywhere, and it can't get in the way of anything so what's the problem?

Comment

If it was me it would annoy the crap out of me until I got it out... just sayin'...
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I got it out. A few blasts of air worked just fine.

Comment

Duck Balls

Actually, make a small ball of duct tape with the sticky side out. Or a strip the same way- whatever shape works.

Stick it to the end of a screwdrive, piece of wire, needle nosed pliers...anything you like. A curved pick can be poked through it for a fairly strong "retrieval tool."

- JC

Comment

A little bit of off road riding, or some spirited riding would have bounced it out as well....

just kidding......

Comment

Working...
                              X