valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve cover gasket

Is there a reason I can't use RTV on the valve cover gasket? The dealer wants $20 for a new one.

Hi,

If any of that gooey stuff gets in the oil passages part of your engine could starve for oil. Aftermarket gaskets are cheap on ebay.

I would suggest saving your money and getting a real gasket. But it's your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Honestly, for the peace of mind, 20 bucks is cheap as Cliff said. Look up valve cover gasket, RTV, and tach drive and you'll see many explanations on how the RTV will not seal properly causing more issues than you want.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Use the gasket, $20 is cheap insurance!

If you're careful with cleaning the gasket surfaces before installing it, and being careful when doing valve adjustments, it should last you several instances of getting the valve cover off and on.

Don't over-torque the valve cover bolts and it should be good.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Use the gasket, $20 is cheap insurance!

If you're careful with cleaning the gasket surfaces before installing it, and being careful when doing valve adjustments, it should last you several instances of getting the valve cover off and on.

+1 just get the gasket. $20 is pretty good, actually. Coat one side of the gasket with a light layer of grease when you install it and it should release easily the next time you need to do a valve adjustment (and re-coat it then).

Comment

Working...
          X