1983 suzuki valve adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 suzuki valve adjustments

Hey guys, its been awhile since i been on here. I just recently got a garage to work out of and my 300 project has been on the back burner all this time since i bought a KZ1000 that needed work for my daily rider. SOOOOO now that i have gotten as far as i can on my other bikes, i figure its time to start on my GS300L. I was looking through my old threads to check out my old posts on adjusting valves. I found the PDF file that somebody posted on how to do the valve adjustments on a 16 valve GS750. You are supposed to line up the cut notches on the sides of the cams with the valve cover gasket surfaces. Since its different from my twin motor, im still not sure which clearances i can check at this point. Do i check them with the cam lobes pointing away from the rockers? i do know the clearances and how to set them, i just dont know where to position the cams to do the job. Really guys, thanks for all the help you have given me these past years, the moment i rolled my motor out from the back of my garage and checked my old posts on here, i found the answers to like half my questions already. Thanks guys, KT

Not sure if there is any difference on the twins, but I have always just lined the cams up the same as a 4 cylinder engine. Always seems to work fine. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Just a GUESS here, but I would say to line up the cam lobe away from the rocker.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just a guess here but read the fine manual.

Mine have a certain number of valves checked notches out. Then a full rotation to notches out and you do the rest.

If I ave done it wrong it explains the loss in compression

Comment

thats what i did, just pointed the lobes away from the rockers. starting to think maybe they're too tight... its kinda hard to turn over with a wrench even if the plugs are out...

Comment

Zounds! I should thing that the parallel twins would all share the same process.

There has to be a 300 owner on here.
            How hard to turn is it?

Mine is not finger easy but not overly hard.

Comment

Working...
            X