Sprocket Conversion Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket Conversion Match

82/83 Katana 1100 stock rear wheel to a 17 inch 160.

1. What would be the closest teeth (front & reat sprocket) or just rear even better to stock?

I suspect that for bottom end, I would drop 1 in the front & either or combo increase in the reat & vice versa for top end..

Thnx much

I think if there was a match between the wheel and the sprocket , the sprocket would win the conversion?
    does that answer your question?

Comment

What was the stock size? On my 700 the stock size was a 120/90 17. My new tire is a 160/60 17. Stock gearing was 14/44 and now I run 16/43. The rpm/mph ratio is about the same as it was originally. YMMV

Comment

For racing, better to enlarge the wheel sprocket than shrink the front. Reason is that a smaller front sprocket puts more stress on the chain, which has to turn more tightly around a smaller radius.

Comment

Sprocks

The 82/3 Biggest Kats had a 15/42 stock. If you go to the lower profile tires like a 160/60ZR17, you would be 15/39. But a better way would be to go to a 530 or even a 520 chain and get more tteh sprockets all around. Then try a 17/44. This would all be close to the stock gearing but they are torquey enough that you could easily add a tooth to the front sprocket. My old Kat would get 52mpg on the freeway with an 18" GSXR rear wheel and 18/42.
          Thoughts-
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
            The 82/3 Biggest Kats had a 15/42 stock. If you go to the lower profile tires like a 160/60ZR17, you would be 15/39. But a better way would be to go to a 530 or even a 520 chain and get more tteh sprockets all around. Then try a 17/44. This would all be close to the stock gearing but they are torquey enough that you could easily add a tooth to the front sprocket. My old Kat would get 52mpg on the freeway with an 18" GSXR rear wheel and 18/42.
            Thoughts-
            G
            its for a race bike, so gearing is important. But, i prefer to run just 2 set ups. the stock equivalent with the rims ill be using is a great starting point. i shouldve mentioned that i will run a 520 chain.

Comment

I assume it's a roadrace bike ?

If so you won't know what gearing you need until you've tried it on the track.
              the aim is to get peak rpm on the longest straight...but not always, sometimes it pays to gear for perhaps a twisty infield and sacrifice a little at top end.

Our GS1000 runs a 160x17 rear and we run a 41 rear sprocket. For our use which ranges from short street circuits to a couple of tracks with long straights we just change the front - the range we carry is 15 to 17 tooth front sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                I assume it's a roadrace bike ?

If so you won't know what gearing you need until you've tried it on the track.
                the aim is to get peak rpm on the longest straight...but not always, sometimes it pays to gear for perhaps a twisty infield and sacrifice a little at top end.

Our GS1000 runs a 160x17 rear and we run a 41 rear sprocket. For our use which ranges from short street circuits to a couple of tracks with long straights we just change the front - the range we carry is 15 to 17 tooth front sprockets.
                i wanna try to run just 2 set ups for the tracks i run. i need machining for my rear sprockets so running with 42 while changing the front would be convenient. thnx much

Comment

Working...
                X