Smaller gas tank for racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller gas tank for racing

Does anyone know of a smaller gas tank that will fit on the 78 GS1000 for racing, even if it's not Suzuki? I don't need one nearly as big as the stock tank and it would look better, too. Thanks! Rick

The 82 16v 750/1100 tanks fits. Not much smaller but it's better for knee position for racing I would think...

May have to change your petcock depending on what carbs you are using... It's tough to fit with the VM carbs, straight fit with the CV's on the 80 model though I think...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

How about an '80 GS850L tank? It's single bolt, but you have to move the mounting ears back for it. It holds 3.2gal, and I have one if you'd like to get it.

Comment

The bike had the 82 16V tank when I got it. Still too big, I'm afraid. And 850L tank has too much of a teardrop shape. But thanks for the input!

Comment

We've been looking at exactly the same problem wth our 1000.

At the moment it looks like I'll be making up a small aluminium box tank and covering it with a fiberglass shell. A local fiberglasser has a rusted out 1000 tank he can take a mould off. This will retain "original" appearance.

he's also got a seat base mould too - more weight to come off.

This should counterbalance the frame bracing due to be done this winter...

Comment

I don't know anything about racing rules, but can you use a plastic tank from a dirt bike? They are usually very small and have some universal mounting points.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              We've been looking at exactly the same problem wth our 1000.

At the moment it looks like I'll be making up a small aluminium box tank and covering it with a fiberglass shell. A local fiberglasser has a rusted out 1000 tank he can take a mould off. This will retain "original" appearance.

he's also got a seat base mould too - more weight to come off.

This should counterbalance the frame bracing due to be done this winter...
              Let me know how that goes, I might be interested in buying one from him. I put a fiberglass AirTech seat pan/tail on mine and it works great. I also did the Yosh frame bracing, along with the GS1100 aluminum swing.
              Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
                I don't know anything about racing rules, but can you use a plastic tank from a dirt bike? They are usually very small and have some universal mounting points.
                Sure, if I could find one that fit and looked good.

Comment

Looking good - or at least acceptable - is the problem. Most racing groups catering for old bikes have a covering rule insisting the bike looks correct for the period.
                  A peanut tank on a big four like a GS just does not fit what they want.
                  So as the original tanks are way too big capacity for the short races most do, you've got a weight and bulk problem. Running the tank low on fuel can easily give starvation problems too as it sloshes round the big tank.
                  I personally think the small box tank with a 'glass cover may be the right way to go - you can put the petcock(s) where you want and shape the bottom to feed all the fuel to the petcocks.

We'll see...
                  Last edited by GregT; 01-13-2012, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Greg. Your tank project seems like a good topic for a thread. Keep us informed of progress.
                    • Suzuki GS1100 for racing
                    • Suzuki GS1000S for nostalgia
                    • Yamaha FZR1000 for touring
                    • Yamaha TR1 for a project

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Does anyone know of a smaller gas tank that will fit on the 78 GS1000 for racing, even if it's not Suzuki? I don't need one nearly as big as the stock tank and it would look better, too. Thanks! Rick

Have you considered putting some scallops at the back of the tank so that your knees can tuck in more? This can also help your knees grip when braking and allow you to take the weight off your arms, which in turn helps your suspension when braking and entering a corner.Keep in mind also that although most of our races are short (6 - 12 laps), occasionally we will be out there for a little longer - 30 minute races, that sometimes have hold ups and restarts due to crashes etc. Some bikes that I compete against in the short races can not last the distance in the longer ones due the size of their fuel tanks. You may need to have two tanks if you encounter the same situation.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

Yes, I've considered doing scallops in the tank, but would rather save the tank as it's one of those cove/indented tanks that I understand are a bit rare. I'd rather just swap it with something smaller.

I checked with AirTech and they presently don't have plans to make a fiberglass tank for the GS. Too bad.

Comment

I have a friend who makes fibreglass tanks for race bikes. I know he does Kawasaki tanks, and think he also does GS1000. If you are interested pm me and I'll send you an email address.

Remember that we are in New Zealand so freight could be an issue.

Comment

PM sent, GS58, but my experience with shipping to/from NZ is that it will be way too expensive. Thanks!

Comment

Seems like your not thinking of welding or moding?

Originally posted by wera racer View Post
                              The bike had the 82 16V tank when I got it. Still too big, I'm afraid. And 850L tank has too much of a teardrop shape. But thanks for the input!
                              Hate to encourage this but, period racers would cut the sides off to fit their knees then weld on new sides, or just hammer in knee reliefs.
                              If you cut one open, you can also weld in some baffles to reduce the slosh and volume.
                              You can start with a cheap rusty tank too.
                              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                              X