Gs750 rear brake binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs750 rear brake binding?

Now that i have managed to sort out the valve clearances, i now need to prepare the bike for its MOT. I have dismantled and cleaned the rear brake caliper as it was binding but it is still holding on to the disc. Can anyone please offer me advise what might be wrong?

Have you thoroughly cleaned the master cylinder and replaced all of the seals in both the caliper and MC?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The pressure return port in your master cylinder is probably clogged. There are two holes in the cylinder. One is the main port for fluid to go through from the res, the other is for over-pressure to return to the res. if its plugged, the fluid has nowhere to go and will keep pressure in the caliper. This will cause it to heat the fluid, which will then expand and exert more pressure, etc etc till the disc is locked tight, and the fluid will start to boil and smoke and generally make a mess of itself.

It's wise to completely disassemble the MC, clean it, replace the piston cup and such, and make absolutely sure it's clear. That return port is tiny, if you don't look close you won't even see it if it's full of gunk.
      I'd also suggest replacing your brake lines as they are probably garbage. Suzuki suggested replacement every two years...heh. Stainless steel lines are cheap, compared to OEM rubber junk and are a way way better product.

Lastly, if you've boiled that fluid, it's garbage and the whole system will need flushed out anyway.

Comment

Does the front master cylender have a return as well? Or just the rear?

Comment

Originally posted by G. Bruns View Post
          Does the front master cylender have a return as well? Or just the rear?
          All MC will have a return. Front, rear, if you have an hydraulic clutch (you don't on a GS) it would too...

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERPIPES View Post
            Now that i have managed to sort out the valve clearances, i now need to prepare the bike for its MOT. I have dismantled and cleaned the rear brake caliper as it was binding but it is still holding on to the disc. Can anyone please offer me advise what might be wrong?
            Is the foot pedal moving freely where it goes through the frame mount? sometimes they rust up where it goes through the frame. I take them apart and clean them up and the hole in the frame grease it up and reassemble.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

What does this have to do with GS photo of the month?

WTF, just post wherever.

Comment

Check your brake lines, if they are clogged, your brakes can lock.

Disconnect the line, then spray bolt penetrator or something foamy threw one end.
                Now blast some carb spray threw the same hole and see if it comes out the other end.

Or just stick one end of the brake line in a bottle of water, and blast compressed air threw the other end, it should bubble and practically blast that water up like crazy!
                (provided your using at least 40lbs of air)

Comment

Originally posted by keman View Post
                  What does this have to do with GS photo of the month?

WTF, just post wherever.

i was wondering that as well lol

Comment

Guys, don't respond with answers to questions when people don't post them in the right place. Kindly inform them they have posted in the wrong place and direct them to the right part of the forum for technical questions.

Comment

Working...
                    X