Drag bike Wheel+Slick sizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag bike Wheel+Slick sizes.

Ok, smoke started rolling out of my ears so I thought I better pass the fun along to everyone else.

First things first, I was looking to upgrade to a wider rear tire to run a slick at the track in the future, till then at least have the setup with a street tire.

Anyways, Slicks are only offered I see in a
    25 x 5.5 x 18
    26 x 7 x 17
    25 x 7 x 18

Well there are others but this is where Im at. Ray mentioned 86 - 88 or so GSXR 1100 rear wheel as they are 4.5 x 18. Which I hope the 25 x 5.5 x 18 slick would fit? However I am finding loads of GSXR 4.5 x 17 inch in those years? The parts fiche also shows 17". I did find one 4.5x18 GSXR wheel on ebay, but what is this tire from? Did they mix the two sizes on the fiche, did they swap sizes mid year sometime?

I have a 8" extended swingarm... I'd like to keep the 630 chain if I could as its all new, but the 530 may leave more room for the tire. Anyways, there are a ton of 5.5 x 17 GSXR wheels around which Im thinking the 26 x 7 x 17 would fit? but would problably run into clearance issues.

What are all you guys running? DO you have old small tire set ups you are trying to sell? Im not in a hurry, but I would like to gather the RIGHT parst as I find deals.

Check with Trippivot... He had a wheel that will work. I bought the slick from him... I am pretty sure its a 4.5x18. How much horsepower are you going to have at the rear wheel? I am using the 5.5x18 tire and I am under around 180... It works good with wheelie bars...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Everything motor wise is stock. I want the rolling gear and all electronices before I start hitting the motor up. I'll run a street tire on the setup untill i get the motor done.

Comment

Only the '88 1100 gsxr had the 4.5x18 rear wheel.
        Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Thats not very nice of them.... and its not showing me an 88 on the parts fiche

Comment

Yeah the 1988 GSXR1100 had the 4.5x18 rear wheel. The 1989 had a 4.5x17, then the 1990 had a 5.5x17. That size continued through 1998, however the wheel itself was changed in 1995 on the 1100 to a somewhat lighter design (straight spoke vs curved spoke). That same wheel (5.5x17 straight spoke) was used on the 94-95 GSXR750, the RF900, and the 1200 Bandit. You'd need an offset front sprocket to use a 5.5" wheel, think it was 3/8" offset but it's been some years so confirm what figure you'd need.

Comment

I can't really use the 5.5 x 17 wheel, as the only slick in that size is a 7' wide slick and would make for very little chain room if any. So Im going to stick to the 4.5 x 18 where the slick is 5.5" wide.

Comment

ok, another question... can I use the 5.5 x 18 gsxr 1100 wheel with the 5.5 x 18 slick? I think it would work, its the straight spoke gsxr wheel, would that be better then the 4.5 x 18?
                Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

There was no 5.5x18 GSXR wheel. The 5.5 wheel is 17". The chain room you are talking about is what the offset front sprocket that I mentioned corrects.

Comment

'84/'85 ZX900 A aka gpz 900 has a 4.5X18 and everything fits right into your swingram/adjusters/sprockets for a 5.5 slick and 630 chain

I think you are on the best route setting the suspension before building power. and the pizza cutter is a great way to get started, and it will be fine until you start making over 120~130 HP - even at #250 I ran low 9's on a 5.5 slick with ease.

I do have a complete wheel assy= no tire on it so it's easier to ship
                    I also have matching sprockets --
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I made another mistake with information 18 X 3.0 is a GPZ rear wheel

sorry guys I try to be 100% with my posts.

anyhow I used it with a 5.5 X 18 M/T and won my first event on it

11 PSI and a short burnout got me 1.32 short times using 14/49 sprockets with it. 14/47 was my 2nd ratio of choice when I had a little motor.
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                      X