GS1085 head gasket leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1085 head gasket leaks

I have used 2 CFM 20 cometic head gaskets and my bike leaks out the front of the cam chain tunnel. I tried torqing to 35 foot lbs., how high can I go or is there another solution. Maybe a stock GS1100 2 valve gasket?

Both surfaces are flat. It's only 10.5 to 1

I have 6 projects left to finish my bike and I need to solve this oil leak before I move on.

Toddk
    1979 Suzuki GS1000always wanted one, 1983 Honda CB1100F Hot Rod(does that show my age), 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750(rain bike)

When I had my GS1085s done,I thought it was leaking it was a clear like substance
    was told it come from the Wiseco gasket,I have Heavy duty Ape studs fitted to mine tightend to 36ftlbs, think workshop manual says about 28lbs with stock studs fitted......

Comment

Are you saying that you sandwiched two head gaskets on it?

Eric

Comment

No, I've done it twice with the same result each time.

Toddk

$54.00 for each gasket and a bunch of time
        1979 Suzuki GS1000always wanted one, 1983 Honda CB1100F Hot Rod(does that show my age), 1984 Kawasaki GPZ750(rain bike)

Comment

Did you retorque the head after heat cycling the head a few times? Perform follow-up torque checks at frequent intervals until the torque falloff stabilized?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Toddk View Post
            No, I've done it twice with the same result each time.
            The definition of "Insanity" is: Doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result. In other words, "You're doing it wrong." Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              The definition of "Insanity" is: Doing the same thing over & over & expecting a different result. In other words, "You're doing it wrong." Ray.
              I was saying that exact thing to myself when I was writing it. I've been trying to think of a few ways I can do it different. AT 10.5 to 1 I should not have to o-ring a cylinder. I can buy new studs and a copper gasket and crank the **** out of it

Here's some additional info. the cylinders have lug on the front to bolt it to the head. The head does not. I had info from the site that they are just different versions and can interchange. It has a cometic gasket, but the stock one had some additional washers. I was told the cometic does not use these. It does have the square oring in the channel for the cam chain tower. I was told it doesn't need it.

As I think of it, the o-ring for the cam chain tunnel is the only thing that is not flat when it is laying in there. Do I need it or not?

To be honest, it's not the first head gasket I've done.

Should I go to 40 ft.lbs.

I did retorque,

Thanks Toddk

Comment

Todd, call me at 714--356-7845. I will help you. Ray.

Comment

look you can glue the heck out of any metal head gasket around the camchain galley- awi9th the rubber o ring seal but there is 1 certainty to metal gaskets -- they leak oil
                  base and head

you are not doing anything wrong it is a fact of hi performance air cooled engines

the expansion and contraction rate of the different metals - modern slippery oils dont help the situation either.

just wipe it off

you better have APE studs and nuts if you creep up to 40 ft/lbs.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

TIG weld the heads on, oh wait it needs to be removed again, don't listen to me. Mine leaked like an sob until I put new studs and used capless nuts. I have mine locked down at 36ft/lbs. Lock it down to about 30 or so and then run it and get it really hot then lock it down all the way. It worked for me just be careful. It will still leak a little. These things leaked off the showroom floor but will last forever.

Comment

RapidRay had the solution, OEM Suzuki GS1100G 2 valve head gasket. Metal multi layer. The problem was the o-ring at the cam chain tunnel. While clearly it was not used on the 1100 OEM gasket it was not clear on the Cometic, it had a much larger cam chain tunnel opening. I think it would have worked if I had not used the o-ring.

OEM gasket was 125, Cometic was 55

Thanks Ray!

On to: jetting, ride height, seating positon, suspension setup, new rear brake line.

She's close, I couldn't do it without site support.

Best regards,

Toddk

Comment

Working...
                      X