Tachometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer?

I'm setting up a 80 GSe as a track bike. I'd like to get rid of the whole instrument pod and replace it with large round tach. I've seen the small 2.25 inch diameter ones they sell for the cafe bikes these days but I'd like something larger. Maybe 3.5 - 4 inches in diameter. It would be a bonus if it was mechanical and could run off the current cable. So I'm just wondering if there's another model GS that would be appropriate to scavenge off of.

As a last resort I'll just cannibalize the pod I have and figure out a way to mount tach out of that.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

The standard tacho comes out of the pod reasonably easy. I simply made up an alloy plate mount which attatched to the top clamp - from memory I used the OE rubber mounts too (sorry, bike's gone at present)

Looking at pics of the Yosh 1000's it looks like they used the OE tach too - they're a distinctive orange colour.

Comment

Motorola/Jones mechanical. 14k rpm and a resetable tattle tail. You can find them on e-bay for anywhere from 20 to 150 bucks. Just make sure the adapter to suzuki is with it. The standard cable thread is the same as a Kawasaki tach cable

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        The standard tacho comes out of the pod reasonably easy. I simply made up an alloy plate mount which attatched to the top clamp - from memory I used the OE rubber mounts too (sorry, bike's gone at present)

Looking at pics of the Yosh 1000's it looks like they used the OE tach too - they're a distinctive orange colour.
        That may be the way I end up going.

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
        Motorola/Jones mechanical. 14k rpm and a resetable tattle tail. You can find them on e-bay for anywhere from 20 to 150 bucks. Just make sure the adapter to suzuki is with it. The standard cable thread is the same as a Kawasaki tach cable
        Man I haven't seen one of those for under $100 in a while. I guess I don't look at the right time. Something to keep an eye out for though.

Thanks.

Comment

Don't look in e-bay motors. Look at e-bay in general. I bought a really nice one a couple of months ago for $25 shipped to my door, in tool section listed as a Jones tach-O-meter

Comment

tech

i run a 5 inch monster tech with recall but its not a cable drive

Comment

Just a note…

The tach on my '90 GSX750F is electronic.
              Probably one lead to ground, one to a coil pos. and one to the dash light pos.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Here's how I mounted my speedo, which has the same shape and hardware as the tach:

Comment

Working...
                X